New to this forum, but not completely new to photography

Old Saxon

Hi, everyone. I'm excited to join this forum. I feel there's a lot I can learn from all of you and I look forward to helping others, as well. I've been in and out of photography since 1972, when I got my first SLR, a Mamiya Sekor. In 2008 I bought a Nikon D80, and then a D300 a year later. I've tried to buy the best glass I can afford, and upgraded to a full frame body last September. My equipment is categorically better than I am. So my failures are all my own, and cannot be blamed on cameras, lenses, or software! :D

Dave_W

The Dude
Welcome aboard! Many of us come from the days of film, too. I think it gives us a certain perspective that you won't get when you've only shot digital. I see you upgraded to a full-frame camera, which model do you have?

Old Saxon

I bought a Nikon D4. As I mentioned earlier, my equipment far exceeds my capabilities. LOL I looked at the D800/800e and D600 and couldn't get enthused about either model, and the D700 wasn't exactly what I wanted, either. I am incredibly impressed with the D4 over the three months I've owned it. My "keeper" ratio has definitely improved.

Overall, I'd say that my knowledge and skill level have reached the point that I know what I don't know, and sometimes can figure it out on my own. I'm a long way from a professional, but have published and sold a few photos...and I stress the word "few!" Friends and family tell me my photos are great, but I've spent hours upon hours looking at truly wonderful photos on Flickr and other hosting sites, so I know where I fit along the photographic scale...and it isn't at the "great" end!