which lens

alanuk

i was looking to buy the 18mm-200mm for a all around lens for a newby but i see there is a 27mm-300mm...which one should i pick???

Rick M

The Nikon 28-300 is a full frame lens, which will work and will also if you get an Fx down the road. The downside is the crop factor. Your wide end would be 42mm as opposed to 27mm on the 18-200.

fotojack

Get the 18-200. Your D90 is a DX camera....crop factor of 1.5..........the 18 end of the lens will give you a wider field of view than the 28. Great walk around lens.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
A friend of mine recently got the 18-300 and he swears that it's sharper than his 18-200. If I was looking for an all-around lens for DX, this is the one I'd get. The VR is much improved from the earlier version.

stmv

yes, I concur, the 18x200 is almost the perfect lens, and if you ever upgrade to FX lens, then you can always sell the D90 and separately the lens (you will get more separately).

I shot with the older 18x200 on my d80 and found it a nice match. Another great lens to consider is the sigmal 10-20, then you have wide angle all the way to tele.