I'm torn! Help!

Danny

A few of you may know, I've recently been hired to work for a photography business. I was attempting to choose between keeping my car fund, or buying a DSLR. With many people's advice, I've chosen a dslr.

Originally, my weapon of choice was a secondhand Nikon Refurbished D5100 via Adorama for $484. But now, I checked for a D3100 like nikonpup suggested. The D3100 I found was not via adorama but a guy in Mississippi, and it comes with a 32gb memory card, a case, a stock kit lens and oh yea, a Sigma 70-300mm lens for $460! I know some are saying, "well duhhh idiot, get the cheaper D3100, it comes with more stuff!" But the thing is, with a Nikon refurbished camera, I have the 1 year warranty, especially since it's sold from a reputable dealer like adorama.

On the other hand, the D3100 comes from a seller with 100% feedback but no warranty.
I know the camera doesn't really matter, it's all about the person behind it, (I learned that from good ol' Ken Rockwell) but honestly, which is a better buy?? Quality and everything included.
Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Rick M

The camera does matter, stop reading KR. The D3100 cannot auto bracket, as you get more into it, that may matter. I would hold out as new D5100's have come down a lot in price, or get a refurb D5100.

Danny

The camera does matter, stop reading KR. The D3100 cannot auto bracket, as you get more into it, that may matter. I would hold out as new D5100's have come down a lot in price, or get a refurb D5100.

Lol but I've learned sooo much from KR! But I see what your saying. So, I'll get the D5100 then

Rick M

Lol but I've learned sooo much from KR! But I see what your saying. So, I'll get the D5100 then

Some of his basic ideas aren't all bad, but take most of it with a grain of salt. The unfortuinate thing is many novices can't seperate his fiction from fact.

Sambr

Let me get this straight you are going into the photography business, however you have no clue on which camera to buy? You best buy liability insurance while your at it. Good luck with that.

Danny

Let me get this straight you are going into the photography business, however you have no clue on which camera to buy? You best buy liability insurance while your at it. Good luck with that.

Actually, I'm just looking into a NEW camera and needed an opinion or two. I'm not a novice when it comes to photography and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been hired had I not known a thing or two about it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been hired had they not thought my work was good enough. So please sir, (or ma'am) if you don't have anything helpful to add to the topic, I urge you to refrain from commenting. Thank you anyways. :D :thumbup:

Sambr

Actually, I'm just looking into a NEW camera and needed an opinion or two. I'm not a novice when it comes to photography and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been hired had I not known a thing or two about it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been hired had they not thought my work was good enough. So please sir, (or ma'am) if you don't have anything helpful to add to the topic, I urge you to refrain from commenting. Thank you anyways. :D :thumbup:

I stand by my comments :) However I wish you well and I hope it works out for you Danny. Camera wise D600 or good used D700 would be a better choice( better glass selection)

stmv

I personally would get the D7000 if you are going into the photograghy business and cannot afford a full frame.

for several reasons
strong body (partially metal)
pro features
can use older D lens (which are great quality and cheaper or better yet used)
compatible in layout to your future D600
meters manual AI lens (super)
front and back control dials (easier manual mode)

and these are being fired sell,, yes, more then the 5100 or 3100, but investing
in your gear is important.

if you do decide between 5100 or 3100,, then 5100.

Danny

I personally would get the D7000 if you are going into the photograghy business and cannot afford a full frame.

for several reasons
strong body (partially metal)
pro features
can use older D lens (which are great quality and cheaper or better yet used)
compatible in layout to your future D600
meters manual AI lens (super)
front and back control dials (easier manual mode)

and these are being fired sell,, yes, more then the 5100 or 3100, but investing
in your gear is important.

if you do decide between 5100 or 3100,, then 5100.

Thank you very much for the info :D

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I pray for a D7000 one day lol

Well, if prayer won't do, get the one you can afford TODAY and earn the next one up with your pictures.

Bodies are mostly all very good. If you do it for real, you'll need a back-up anyways. But do get the best lenses as soon as you can afford them. Buying second and third best will eventually become more expensive.

Danny

Well, if prayer won't do, get the one you can afford TODAY and earn the next one up with your pictures.

Bodies are mostly all very good. If you do it for real, you'll need a back-up anyways. But do get the best lenses as soon as you can afford them. Buying second and third best will eventually become more expensive.

Thanks for the advice sir. Will do

vindex1963

Another vote for the D700. High ISO and not having to deal with menu based options but switches on the camera instead. Used with low mileage are getting very affordable.