Help me spend my money!!!!!!

joekel

Hi everyone it's been awhile since I have posted. I currently own a D7000 awesome camera, got it 6 mos ago, I have the kit lens and the 35mm 1.8 love this lens! I have been saving my money and and want to buy a telephoto lens, I am looking at the Sigma 70-200 2.8 but recently have been looking at the Sigma 50-150 2.8 The lens will be used for sports, soccer, basketball and cheer leading. I know there is a price difference. I have a budget of 1250.00 us, help me spend it please!!!! You guys have always given me great advice joekel

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
If I had that budget I would opt for the longest range I could get, especially for sports. f/2.8 should be perfect.

Have you considered the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8? It's currently $1,080 new with a couple nice used options on Amazon. Only thing is it doesn't have VR. The second closest Nikon is the 70-200 f/2.8, but it looks like the lowest you can get that for is $2k.

Regardless i don't think you'll be disappointed with a Sigma.

joekel

Yes I have considered the 80-200 but not sure because of lack of vr. Also concerned sigma 50-150 is dx only not that I am looking anytime soon to switch to fx. I will look further into 80-200 and maybe with leftover cash I will could buy a grip and extra battery!!

joekel

Thanks guys. Mostly it would be handheld. Rick I thought about the new Nikon but would f4 work in a gym setting. Thanks again!!!

Sambr

Thanks guys. Mostly it would be handheld. Rick I thought about the new Nikon but would f4 work in a gym setting. Thanks again!!!
It could work - however you are starting at f4 your ISO would endup in the stratosphere in some arenas from the lighting. Defiantly a 2.8 lens would be a better choice for indoor sports. I shot a Roller Derby using a D3s & 70-200Nikon VR some of my shots were at ISO 12,800 due to lighting & shutter speed high enough not to blur.