Sb-700 & sb-400

§am

Been looking at possibly getting the SB-700 for my camera, as I often find myself needing to bounce light off (eg. off the ceiling) and my SB-400 not being able to do so when held in portrait (though I don't think that's the only reason to upgrade it!!)

a) should I keep the SB-400, or flog it off and use the funds to part pay for the SB-700?

b) keep the smaller flash and use it as a slave somehow with the SB-700?

c) keep the SB-400 anyway and use it ad-hoc when I need to travel light?

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
re: SB-700 & SB-400

How much do you use flash? You might want to consider getting a cable so you can hold the flash off camera. This would be pretty inexpensive. The other option is to get faster glass. Depends on your budget and level of NAS. ;)

§am

I do a lot of pictures of my kids/family mainly indoors and lighting is not brilliant at the best of times.

I have a 50mm f/1.8 and that helps in some situations, but it's not the only lens I use...
The kit 18-55mm gets a good use too but that's where the flash helps.

I did think of an off camera flash via a cord but as a lot of pictures are literally pick up and shoot, I don't think I would have time to shift my flash around a lot from one place to another.

I was looking at the 17-55mm f/2.8G (second hand) or the 28mm f/1.8G, but both currently outside my NAS budget :p
Hence the 'cheaper' option of a SB-700 (given I could get some cashback on it this xmas period).

pedroj

The sb-700 is an obvious choice...i have the 600 it does what you want, maybe a second hand sb600

fotojack

Referring to your post, I would choose option B. The SB700 is what I like to call "idiot proof", as it is so easy to learn and use. It also comes with 3 diffusers to use in different lighting situations. I'm constantly advising people (who ask) to get the SB700........it's that good.

Sambr

Referring to your post, I would choose option B. The SB700 is what I like to call "idiot proof", as it is so easy to learn and use. It also comes with 3 diffusers to use in different lighting situations. I'm constantly advising people (who ask) to get the SB700........it's that good.

I agree with Jack the SB700 is great - the only quirk it has is the battery door, with constant use it falls apart(I had to have mine replaced 2X) now I carry some gafffer tape for when it will fall apart again.

§am

These were not the answers I was looking for :p

That's £210 departing from my bank balance in the next few days!!
I guess the £25 cashback will help though a little ;)

fotojack

These were not the answers I was looking for :p

That's £210 departing from my bank balance in the next few days!!
I guess the £25 cashback will help though a little ;)

hehehe....they maybe weren't the answers you were looking for, but they're the ones we felt would be most logical and helpful. :) Also, we are not responsible for the atrocious prices Brits pay for photo equipment over there. :) Maybe ordering from Canada or the U.S. would be cheaper, even including the shipping. :) I don't know.....just guessing. :)

nikonpup

keep the sb-400 or sell it yourself. Cashback is just putting money in the buyers pocket. The buyer will turn your sb-400 around for double or triple the money he "gives" you.

§am

Also, we are not responsible for the atrocious prices Brits pay for photo equipment over there. :) Maybe ordering from Canada or the U.S. would be cheaper, even including the shipping.

Adorama have the SB-700 for $327 and thats not including shipping (so the same price as here) :(
Need the £ to be strong against the $ again before I can get stuff cheap from the states.
I bought my camera stuff in April because I had $s from when it was close to $2:£1, so saved a fortune compared to buying from the UK :)

keep the sb-400 or sell it yourself. Cashback is just putting money in the buyers pocket. The buyer will turn your sb-400 around for double or triple the money he "gives" you.

I have no intention of letting some 3rd party muck sell my kit.
A few months ago I made a passing query as to what a seller would offer me as part exchange towards a SB-700.
Was quoted as getting £20 for my SB-400... and they were selling used SB-400's for £70 on their site!! NO THANKS, I'll keep that £50 profit for myself!!

§am

As a side note - can a mod please amend the title?
I've tried to change it to SB-700 & SB-400 but everytime I save the changes it reverts back to Sb-700 & sb-400!!