Get Thee Behind Me, Santa!!

BackdoorArts

I've found I am much better at resisting temptation, and far less impulsive, later in the day than first thing in the morning. This has proven out tremendously today as I awoke to read about the price reductions on the D600 kit and D800. I've thought I would want the D800 and was going to save for that. I've also had the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 in my head as a "next buy" for next year's birding season. But alas, this was too much for me when I factored in everything that came with the D600 and then did the math and found the upgrades I got going to a D800 wanting in the bang for the buck department. I have to say that the posts in this forum were very helpful in making my decision - particularly in reminding me that I'm going to want to keep the D7000 around for birding. I'm going to need to scramble to move some things to pay for it on the back end (like a D90 package, a lens or two, non-camera stuff), but in the end I believe it will make sense, and I know I'll be thrilled with the D600. It arrives Monday, along with my vacation. Whoopie!!

BackdoorArts

I haven't broken the news to my wife yet, Ironwood - so hold the envy. Rolling the dice that a couple internet sales will come through before the credit card bill. LOL

Ironwood

LOL, hope it all comes together for you.
I know the feeling, Ive got a lens on its way that the Wife doesnt know about yet.

Geoffc

I haven't broken the news to my wife yet, Ironwood - so hold the envy. Rolling the dice that a couple internet sales will come through before the credit card bill. LOL

Congrats on the purchase, I got mine last week. The image quality is excellent as is the high ISO.

I have encountered the dust / oil issue at only 75 clicks. I'm kind of relaxed about if it goes away by 3000 clicks. I'm about to order a cleaning kit. It only became obvious when tested at F22. When I get the kit I'm going o set the interval timer to take the required shots at 1 second intervals. Provided this does go away the camera is very nice and you will love it,

Rick M

Cograts Jake! and excellent timing! It was meant to be. I'm sure the wife will approve, mine just rolls her eyes now :)

Rick M

It seems all new cameras are comming out with some "issue". Oil and back focusing on the D7000 (all you happy D7000 owners are apparently a minority), same with the D800 left focus issue (you guys are all supposed to outraged too) and now the D600 with dust and maybe oil (mine has only had some dust and well over 1500 shots now). As soon as the next new body is out for a Month or two it will be analyzed to death and something horrible will be wrong with it, then the D600 will be off the hook!

Enjoy!

Geoffc

It seems all new cameras are comming out with some "issue". Oil and back focusing on the D7000 (all you happy D7000 owners are apparently a minority), same with the D800 left focus issue (you guys are all supposed to outraged too) and now the D600 with dust and maybe oil (mine has only had some dust and well over 1500 shots now). As soon as the next new body is out for a Month or two it will be analyzed to death and something horrible will be wrong with it, then the D600 will be off the hook!

Enjoy!

Rick I'm not doom mongering over the D600 as I expected it to happen and I expect it to clear up. So far it hasn't been obvious in my photos.

Anyway I look at it as an opportunity as I've been shooting digital since the D70 came out and never learned how to clean a sensor!!

You do wonder with this issue though, because it would show up straight away on their test cameras. Maybe the marketing boys thought the release date was more important than QA.

Rick M

Geoffc, I did not mean to imply you were one of the doom and gloom folks. It just came to mind recently that it seems all new cameras are comming out with some issue. I agree QA is lacking. It also makes me wonder if perhaps thye internet has simply made issues more visible than they used to be. Certainly anything bad in regards to cameras, news, or anything else spreads like wild fire where in the past few knew.

BackdoorArts

I've dealt with the oil/dust and focus issues on my D7000 and am still high on it. Couldn't ask for a better camera for the money. If I need to deal with it on the D600 then I'm ready - just need to order full-size sensor cleaning swabs. I don't doubt that the internet helps to spread any dissatisfaction. When I buy anything I read the reviews, and while I want to know the negatives I figure that the ratio of unsatisfied owners who took the time to post will be much higher than those who were satisfied and still took the time to post a review. Squeaky wheels love to squeak, and while they often have very valid points they usually come with a side of a chip on their shoulder and possible buyer's remorse.

As for the wife rolling her eyes, I'm a musician as well, and she's spent most of our marriage watching guitars come in and guitars go out. As long as the number of boxes leaving is equal to or greater than the number of boxes arriving, I'm not sleeping on the couch. LOL She a good woman and understands the way I throw myself at something I'm passionate about. She's one of them. :)

PapaST

Best kind of woman to have. Congrats on the new camera. I'm thankful and loathe you at the same time for bringing that Sigma 120-300 f2.8 up. I have the 150-500 now but I think you're right, that's the way to go for inexpensive reach. The 2xTC and the 120-300 f2.8 lens. I just hope the weight isn't that bad. Thanks for making me spend more money. ;)

BackdoorArts

Don't know that I'd go so far as to call it "inexpensive reach". I've got the 150-500mm now, and the 120-300 is about twice the weight and 3x the price. Tack on the 2X converter and you're now making what I just spent on the D600 look like peanuts. That said, it's a great lens. My brothers got one (Canon mount, dammit) and raves about it. If you do some upper body work you can get away with handheld. I use the 150-500 mostly for bird and wildlife photography, and it works OK without requiring a monopod. Not sure if the 120-300 is too heavy for doing birds in flight, but I'm willing to give it a shot. LOL