I LOVE the 50mm f/1.4D

vindex1963

This lens for the price is simply amazing.

D700
50mm @ f/10
SB-600 Gary Fong Lightsphere.
ISO 400

8270397707_9080f244ac_b.jpg

stmv

interesting, so,, is there really a 50 mm pro lens? I consider the nikkor 50 mm current generation of 1.4 about the best they currently make.

does it match the old build quality of say a 105 DC,, no, but does it really have too, seems like the 50s have always been built about that level.

of course compared to the 1.8D, the 1.4D is a gem in quality.

If you look at pre-AI, Nikkor made beautiful machined lens, that are truly gems, pick up any of those scalloped focus ring, brushed metal tube lens, rotate, and go aaaahhhhh

then in the early AI days, Nikkor couldn't make a cheap lens, but competition made them make the series E lens, and well, pick up an of those old E series lens, and go.. aaahhhhhh

but eventually, Nikkor was forced to go consumer, and some real clunkers were made. I had a 80-200 in which literaly the rear element was glued on.

but their higher end lens basically remained the same. Would you call it pro? or just well Nikkor quality lens.

I almost would argue that they really never made pro lens, but continued a linear regression from the Pre AI days to now with the same HIGH quality lens.

My lens span over 50 years, and if I look at them, they are well, almost consistantly the same quality in build.

only the newer G lens are really changing, and well, so far, I am not happy with any of my G series lens in build. I hear some of the higher price G lens are matching the quality, but I have not gotten a copy.

It would be interesting to compare the 60mm micro D to the now replacement, 60mm G micro.. perhaps there the quality is not match.

Last edited:

gav329

Think it's a sign of the times like everything else that's manufactured. Lets make it as cheap as we can and sell for as much as we can and pay the lowest wages to people who just accept it. The only winners are the fat cats at the top. My D200 is nicely made I must admit but "made in Thailand" sticker was a bit disappointing to see on it. No offence to Thailand by the way but Nikon I always associated with fabulous Japanese quality.

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hrphotography

is it true that the focus is soft when the lens is wide open?
i want a 50mm, cannot make my mind which to buy. i heard something about focus being soft when at 1.4
is the G version better than this? anyone knows?
thank you in advance :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
is it true that the focus is soft when the lens is wide open?
i want a 50mm, cannot make my mind which to buy. i heard something about focus being soft when at 1.4
is the G version better than this? anyone knows?
thank you in advance :)

I think it is softer but I don't know since I don't have one. I do however have a 55 1.2 and it sure is a lot softer at 1.2. I'm not even sure it is softer but it lacks contrast at 1.2. I can add contrast and sharpen and the shots look good, but the depth of field is so so so so narrow that it almost has to be used in the studio at 1.2.

This is why I recommended you the 1.8G on another thread I think.