The Jonas E. Salk Institute

Dave_W

The Dude
The Jonas E. Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA.

D800; 14-24mm; f-8; ISO-450

D8A_0452-Edit.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
If you are interested in Jonas Salk the man check out his wiki and google Monte Fiore hospital. It was at Monte Fiore using Carl Zeiss Jena microscopes that Salk discovered how to save people a lot of trouble. :)

Dave_W

The Dude
Yeah, but nothing I'm overly found of. I was there after shooting buildings at UCSD and by the time I arrived the sun was high and it was a perfectly cloudless day so the shadows are very annoying. I was waiting to return on a cloudy day and a few Sunday's ago it was perfect but it turns out the center pavilion, the best part of the building, is closed on the weekends. It's a very cool futuristic structure designed in the '60's by Louis Kahn and has the feel of something right out of an original Star Trek episode.

btw, It was a full blown Santa Anna that weekend and despite the way it looks, I did not use a CP, the skies really were this blue.

D8A_0417.jpg

D8A_0430.jpg

D8A_0446.jpg

UmarPk

Banned
Yeah, but nothing I'm overly found of. I was there after shooting buildings at UCSD and by the time I arrived the sun was high and it was a perfectly cloudless day so the shadows are very annoying. I was waiting to return on a cloudy day and a few Sunday's ago it was perfect but it turns out the center pavilion, the best part of the building, is closed on the weekends. It's a very cool futuristic structure designed in the '60's by Louis Kahn and has the feel of something right out of an original Star Trek episode.

btw, It was a full blown Santa Anna that weekend and despite the way it looks, I did not use a CP, the skies really were this blue.

View attachment 27102

View attachment 27103

View attachment 27104

Hey I remember seeing photos of this place in a architecture class I once took. What a coincidence. At the time the Professor showed us none of us knew what this place was, most of us thought it was a memorial due to te architecture and genius loci.

Last edited: