New to the game

Chase

Hi all my names chase from birmingham im 25 and this will be my first purchase of any sort of camera, apart from my iphone cameras:)

Basically i have a slight dilema that needs answering asap, i know its a dslr that i want and i know its definatly a nikon camera that i want however im stuck with 2 options and i dont know what would benefit me more.

Here goes:

Nikon D3100 + 18-55mm VR Lens + 55-200mm Non VR Lens

Or

Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera in Black + 18-55mm VR Lens

Roughly the same price give or take a few british pounds, obviousley one coming with an extra lense, now my question is !

Would i benefit from the d3100 with 2 lenses or would i benefit from the d3200 with one lense but a more up to date body?

PLEASE HELP !

Thanks

Chase

§am

Welcome here.

First of all, I'd say is, ditch the D3200 and get the D5100 with 18-55mm instead.
With Nikon's current cashback offer, the D5100 will cost you all of £4 more (£355) than a D3200 (£351), and it's a much better camera in the long run.
Plus as you're new to the whole taking a picture with a proper camera, you're probably not in any urgent need to want to splash out on a 55-200mm type zoom lens, until you're a) comfortable using the camera, b) sure you need that zoom range.

PS. Spelling matters :p

Last edited:

Rick M

I agree with Sam, D5100, neither of those have auto bracketing. If you think this will be a long term passion, save up for the D7000

Chase

The d5100 is £469 at jessops an thats with the cash back added ti the price so its slightly out of my price range :(

§am

The d5100 is £469 at jessops an thats with the cash back added ti the price so its slightly out of my price range :(

Rip off Jessops as usual.
You are looking at the D5100 & 18-105mm bundle they have, which is actually £525, then you apply for the £55 cashback to bring you to the above price. So you still have to fork out the larger amount in the first instance!

Amazon has the D5100 & 18-55mm 'kit' for £407.98 (after cashback will have set you back £352.98)
The D3200 kit by comparison is £396 (£351 after cashback), again from Amazon :)

It would also be useful to know what your actual budget is... appears to £400 judging by the fact you have the D3200 kit in your sight.
The £50 you save, use for a bag and decent SD card

Chase

Thats my plan yes when they send me my visa card with the money on.

yju9a8u2.jpg

aru2e7as.jpg

bysyby5u.jpg

6y8yvu5u.jpg

Opted for the d3200 now ill start getting to know it as ive never used a dslr the manual is mind boggling to me :)