Long Exp Noise Reduction Write Delay

BackdoorArts

When Long Exposure NR is "On", according to everything I've read about the D7000, impacts all exposures of 8 seconds and longer. The process involves delaying the write to disc as NR is applied, with the process taking an equal amount of time as the original exposure. So an 8 second exposure would take 16 seconds from shutter-fire to write, a 16 second exposure would take 32 seconds, etc. I get that.

Today, I was doing some long exposures while shooting an HDR series for the inside of a church lit for Christmas. Long Exposure NR was On, but I was experiencing the write delay on every exposure of more than 1 second. I've been going just a little bit crazy trying to figure out what I might have changed to cause this to occur. I've looked all over to see if there's a way to change the minimum shutter speed for LENR to take effect and cannot find anything - everything says "8 sec or greater".

What am I missing?!

Somersetscott

Glad you cracked it.

As you've mentioned it - can you HDR in the D7000 with a setting or do you take manual different exposures then create in software?

I may have mis-read or misunderstood but the D5100 & D5200 has a setting for this?...

Thanks, Scott

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BackdoorArts

I'd be lying if I told you that I knew that the D7000 can't do HDR internally, but I don't believe that it can - and if it does I suspect it's very limited in what it will do. It does have 3 shot exposure bracketing, which I use all the time. Other cameras do indeed have a setting for this, including the D5100, but again it's limited compared to what you can do externally.

There are several software packages that will allow you to combine multiple images into a single HDR image. Photomatix seems to be rather popular here. After seeing a demonstration at a trade show I went for Nik Software's HDR Efex Pro 2. Extremely easy to use, and very powerful in it's use of control points ala Nikon Capture NX2.

Somersetscott

Haha, perhaps my attention span isn't what it was - I did watch it all, quite good - would like to try it out sometime.

Nice camera too :). Didn't really see any good images at the end as the video quality wouldn't allow.

cheers, Scott

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2