wow,, 14-24 used prices are high

stmv

wow

Nikon Zoom Nikkor 14 24mm F 2 8 AF s VR If Ed G Lens No Reserve Auction 0018208021635 | eBay

I was thinking that since this example clearly took a hard blow, enough to break the shade, and the focus is stiff, that just perhaps, the price would be reasonable.

It started out nice and low, at 300 dollars, and the way the shade was shattered, it seemed like a potential buy, but even a clearly damaged lens, closed at over a 1000 dollars. Yes, cheaper than say the 1400-1500 current used price, but still, for a lens that was clearly impacted, and the risk of buying the lens.

I was thinking of maybe 750 (well that was my high bid), but nope.

Once it a damaged lens goes over a 1000 dollars, might as well pay the 1400 or so for one that is clearly not been abused.

but 1400 is still too high for me still for this lens, so it will have to wait. I have a friend that has one, so, got to borrow it for a day, really have to see if I like this one, it seems so bulky, especially in the field.

Dave_W

The Dude
This is one of the reasons I advise people to buy the best Nikkor lenses they can afford - they maintain their value and act more like an investment that will yield you an average of ~75% of your investment price, even after many years of use. Using the average depreciation for business expenditures, you can write off the entire cost of the lens over a typical period of 5 to 8 yrs (depending upon your situation) and in the end re-coup ~75% of the initial investment. Not too shabby, IMO

stmv

yes, the quality lens hold their value, but frankly, even the low cost lens hold value fairly well.

Also, as the SLR volume increased, the used lens prices have sky rocketed. I have been collecting lens on ebay for over 10 years now, and the bargains are gone. Many of the lens I have purchased have appreciated by 30-50% since I have purchased them. Some have appreciated 2X.

There are a few bargains left, but they are on the fringes.