D700 versus D7000

stmv

Sometimes I do photo mine my portfolio, and was mining fom shots taken with a D700 and D7000, often the exact same spot/conditions.

The Clear winner -> The D700! sometimes shockingly so. Many of the D700 shots were simply amazing in the clarity, and details, and light control. Maybe, it is the FX sensor, but I am kinda surprised. I did get some strong images from the d7000, but folders that I am mining more are coming from is the D700.

I will be heading back out, and this time, am thinking of bringing the D700 and D800. I want to have prime speciality lens on D700 like dedicated macros, and DC lens. Plus play with a PC (perspective control lens), but will do more side by side comparisons between the D700 and D800.

So, while I love the D7000 for light weight use, and will not sell it, it is making me think differently, and might start carrying my old D700 more, after all it is image quality I chase.

so, I expect the used D700 prices to stay high for a long long time, it is that good of a camera!

stmv

well,, used, it is not 3X but about 50% more. and the D700 sensor is really old technology now.

On paper, and in reviews, the D7000 outperforms the D700 in dynamic range and sharpness, but out in the field, I just could not match the D700. The D700 nailed the exposure, skys looked better, the details were sharper. Maybe, it was more a function of the lens, since on the D700 I had on the beautiful 20-35 and 35-70 2.8s, which render great quality images.

johncook

I agree, and I loved my D7000.

but the D700 just produces better quality images, especially in low light it's significantly better. There is a "je ne sais quoi" factor which makes the D700 images have a more professional sheen to them in my humble opinion.

i sold my D7000 because I knew once I got the D700 I just wouldn't go back to it.

be interested to see how the D700 fairs against the D800 in your test

TedG954

The only way I'll replace my D700 is with a D800, and honestly, I don't see that happening for a very long time. Mine has approximately 15k clicks, so it's still got plenty of tread. It was a great choice.

STM

In most cases, with all things being equal. FX is going to beat DX head to head. And in some situations like depth of field control, it beats the ever loving snot out of it.

Last edited:

Sambr

I have both and like them both. I am however selling the D7000 - just because I want to get rid of my DX gear. I not saying FX is best, it's just that I like it better.

Eye-level

Banned
In most cases, with all things being equal. FX is going to beat DX head to head. And in some situations like depth of field control, it beats the ever loving snot out of it.

Which is why I like shooting with my film camera way better than my digital camera... :)

fotojack

Each style has their pros and cons. People get more familiar and more comfortable with a certain style of camera, be it FX or DX. Personally, to me, it shouldn't matter, as the act of TAKING a photo is the sole goal of either method. As has been said ad nausium......it's the photographer, not the camera, that determines the outcome.
But hey.....to each his own, right? :)