Help on the D90 or D300 please

twinkle_2k86

Hi All,

im looking for a Nikon body, but still not sure what to get. Use to have a canon 400d, but this has gone.

I really liked the D300, the 51 AF points and fast FPS it offered is what drew me to it, as i like taking aviation, and the fast shutter burst speed would be a bonus.

Now the D90 was also one i have looked at, but is it good enough for fast moving planes? Every read up says that has compared these 2 bodys, say the D300 is the choice for sports etc.
The cheaper price of the D90 is also tempting, plus its spose to be easyer to use (being a canon user i will be starting from scratch with nikon)

The d7000 is out becasue of price really. Im looking at a used body and have about £300 to spend, or save a bit more and get the D300?

Please can anyone give me any feedback?

cheers

slowpoke

I realy hate to say this,lol But if I were you,I'd have to go with.........oh this hurts The D300.For what you want it for you'll get your moneys worth out of it.Buy it and have fun.Us it as a starter on your way to the D600 or D800.All the best.

AC016

Either camera will be able to take pictures of airplanes just fine. I have used both a D3000 and a D5100 for taking pictures of airplanes, any DSLR can really. I'm thinking that the AF system in the D300 is probably better. But again, either camera can do the job just fine. Is 1.5 frames per second more going to make a huge difference? I don't think so. FPS is not as important as the AF system in my opinion. Both cameras can get their shutter speeds wound up enough for fast moving objects. THe D90 will be a bit better at higher ISO though. I think it really comes down to what camera you feel is more appealing to you, for they will both do the job just fine.

twinkle_2k86

thank you for the replys. i did prefer the d300 in my hand, just felt nice, the d90 was ok, but didnt have a memory card on me to see the test pics i wanted to take. tested the d300 tho.
i could get a d90 now, and the last lens i have to sell, i could get a fairly nice lens with the money then.