cool,, a 85 1.4 lens

stmv

Yea! won a 85 1.4 for 350 dollars, has some mold, so,, it will go to my pro shop for a cleaning, so, total investment will be around 450, which is still a great deal for a 85 1.4 legend lens.

Not a bad way,, to afford an exotic lens, if you are willing to put some repair into it.

Heard so much about this lens, I am excited to use it.

stmv

The manual AIS version, so old school, I would love a D version also, but perhaps another time, maybe, I'll get this one cleaned up, sell it for profit, and get a D version.

I do like old manual glass, but the D version is a gem also.

Robert Mitchell

Both the AI-s and the AF-D are outstanding lenses. Brilliantly sharp. Color and rendering of out of focus areas are gorgeous. Once the mold is cleaned out, you've got yourself a really great piece of glass. Enjoy.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You should give it a good trial before you send it to the shop. What if the mold is not that bad and the lens still delivers… Plus, manual focus is nice; it's like lottery with a 1.4 lens, some you get, some you don't. Tripod and live view focusing is the only way to make sure.

Enjoy your new lens!

Sambr

You should give it a good trial before you send it to the shop. What if the mold is not that bad and the lens still delivers… Plus, manual focus is nice; it's like lottery with a 1.4 lens, some you get, some you don't. Tripod and live view focusing is the only way to make sure.

Enjoy your new lens!

NO NO NO Don't even think about it , if that mold transfers into your camera you are hooped, be very careful mold is not to be taken lightly.

stmv

NO NO NO Don't even think about it , if that mold transfers into your camera you are hooped, be very careful mold is not to be taken lightly.

Yes, I totally agree, I once purchased a 200-600 that was moldy, and locked up, and had my local shop clean, and it came out fantastic (sold to help pay for my D800).

So, I'll invest with my local shop to scrub this puppy, and get a shiny clean lens.