I'm officially the newest D7000 owner in the world!

Kias

Just ordered it seconds ago from B&H! Now I have to wait the dreaded wait.

In the meantime, I guess I'll go find the manual and start reading!

Kias

Geez... I've glanced at the manual before, but now that I'm actually reading it I must say, that's a big manual! Time to move it over to my phone for some bedtime reading.

Rick M

They are huge now! But it is well worth the time, will save you from frustration down the road. Nothing worse than having a great camera and not knowing how to use it!

Sambr

Actually throw the damn manual in the tash. Buy yourself David Busch's book "Mastering the D7000" it is 1000 times better than the manual & it is color illustrated with tips & short cuts that the manual doesn't have.

BackdoorArts

Actually throw the damn manual in the tash. Buy yourself David Busch's book "Mastering the D7000" it is 1000 times better than the manual & it is color illustrated with tips & short cuts that the manual doesn't have.

Do you mean Darrell Young's book "Mastering the Nikon D7000" or David Busch's "Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography"? I have Young's book and heartily recommend it (it is MUCH better than the manual). Hadn't heard of Busch's until I got confused by the title you gave and looked him up.

Sambr

Do you mean Darrell Young's book "Mastering the Nikon D7000" or David Busch's "Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography"? I have Young's book and heartily recommend it (it is MUCH better than the manual). Hadn't heard of Busch's until I got confused by the title you gave and looked him up.
Yes sorry got the two mixed up both awesome books.

Tami Jo

You are going to love your new D7000. Read the manual and then pick up one of the other books such as the Mastering the Nikon d7000. That will help you a lot. It would give you something to take your mind off of the painful wait too ;)

go with the P mode to start with the Auto is for <<**&^ heads ..auto iso 400-6400 and work up from that.

Biggest thing to remember is that if you change the menu whilst in P mode it will not change the A , S, U1, U2 (forget auto) as these can all have different settings for different situations ..so you can have 5 different styles of settings available at the twist of a knob. which by the way does not lock and can get knocked ( roll on theD7200)

Last edited:

Kias

I purchased Darrel Young's book last week, and have read the entire thing with the exception of Chapter four. I tried several times, but kept falling asleep. I think I'm going to need the camera in front of me when I read that chapter.

stmv

actually, I am going to suggest,, Aperature Mode, and then pay attention to the speed it picks, if too slow, change aperature, or ISO,

or

better yet, set it in Manual Mode (my default), and change both the speed and aperature, and ISO when needed.

The D7000 is set up beautifully for manual mode, front and back dials, and it will become second nature.

Once you shoot manual, then 90% of what is in the manual, is well fluff.

Kias

The sun'll come out tomorrow!
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun.
Just thinkin' about tomorrow,
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow till there's none!

...well hopefully I can take pictures better than I can sing.

The camera is in Columbus, OH!! Makes me want to drive down there and just get it. As if I could. So, it'll be here tomorrow!

Read the manual, watched the videos (Thanks for that link! Wonder how I never saw those before...), glanced over Darrel's book again.

Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Kias

OH, and one of the reasons I picked the D7000 was just so I could have both those dials.

Set an ISO, change the speed and aperture for 36 pictures, then change the ISO and shoot 36 more while controlling the speed and aperture, then just continue like that over and over...

That's how I did it 30ish years ago!

Kias

Wooohooo!!

bypa4une.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Kias

But the battery charger is still blinking!

On totally unrelated related news, that battery is a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures!

Kias

First, the ups man was three hours late from his normal appearance time. That was freaking me out.

Second, do these things come with completely dead Batteries? It's been charging for an hour now. It's a two hour charge ain't it?

I knew I should have ordered extra batteries and a charger a month ago. :eek: