Your Personal Camera Settings for Different Situations

Sara Gorsline

Hello all,

I love seeing what settings each person uses for different situations like: pets, weddings, kids, moon, natures (ranging from water, mountains trees, bugs, wildlife), aquariums, etc.

I understand different settings myself and that it ranges per person per camera per choice/preference but I think it would be fun to see what you all like to use for specific situations.

I haven't played with mine enough and just use auto when I'm in a hurry but I want to broaden it. If you wish to post your picture with your settings that works too!

DSC_1356.jpgf/5.6; 1/125 sec; ISO-400

Nikon D7000

Tami Jo

Since the lighting is always changing you have to chose the best settings for your unique situation. I really love this shot of the beautiful baby and the expression you have captured here. Very nicely done! I see you too are shooting with the Nikon D7000. What lens did you use to obtain this shot?

daredevil123

For me personally, there are no fixed settings. But some constants are usually Aperture priority, auto-ISO, single spot continuous focusing for portraits. For landscape it is mostly in manual mode, base ISO, Mirror Up drive mode with a cable release.

Eye-level

Banned
I like f5.6 and 125 or 250 and 200-400 ISO...I try to stay right around there for everything...if I'm using a wide angle I like to stop it down to f8.

I like to use the flash setting on my white balance (5000K or so)

if you are talking D7000 here I have
U1 set at max aperture iso 200-6400 for moderate bokeh effects.
U2 set at f11 iso 200-800 for outside shots
A at F8 iso 200-6400 for dark interiors but giveing some depth of fiels
P auto iso 200- 6400
thats it but I only shot weddings
you can see my gear below

Mestre

For outdoors f/8 and ISO between 100 to 800, according to the available light.

For landscape I often used f/11 and ISO 100 but with the D600 and my new ultra-wide I'm not going beyond f/8 and try to use hyperfocal to keep everything in focus.

For portrait, is max aperture possible while indoors I choose f/5,6 using ISO to get good shutter speed.

cbg

It depends on what I am shooting and what the lighting conditions are. For example, if I am shooting Birds-in-flight then I want at least 1/1000 shutter speed and I'll use shuuter priority and set the iso and aperature to what I need to get a good image at that shutter speed. For landscpapes, I'll use Aperature priority and typically set the iso to 200 and the apperature to what I need to get the DOF I want.

Colin