Looking for a compact camera that shoots RAW images

Dave_W

The Dude
I've been told that you should always have a camera with you because you never know when an opportunity will present itself. Although I cart my D800 around most places, it's not the easiest thing to do. So I've been considering getting a small compact that will fit in my front pocket but will also shoot raw images. Turns out it's not all that easy to determine which shoot raw and which do not. On top of that, I know very little about IQ on compacts so I'm hoping some people here have some experience with compacts and help me choose one. And I'm not opposed to buying a Nikon over a Canon, I just want something small that delivers the best IQ I can find.

TIA

Dave

wysiwyg

I have a Canon G12, and a Panasonic Lumix TZ19 - I love them both but the Canon would be my favourite. I would definitly consider the G15 next although im still hoping that Santa pops a little Fuji X10 into my stocking this year.

Dave_W

The Dude
Thanks guys! Good stuff! I'm surprisingly impressed with Canon's compacts. The G15 looks very nice as do the S line-up. Comparing the S-line, it seems the S100 is at a pretty decent bargain since they came out with the S110, which from the reviews isn't really that much better than the S100 but yet they're forced to drop the S100's price considerably to account for the lower number.
Ted, since you had the S90, what do you think about the S100?

fotojack

Even though Nikon blood flows through my veins, I would pick a Canon P&S over any other brand out there, simply for it's excellent IQ and features and price point.

RockyNH_RIP

Dave, I have an older Canon A560 (Does NOT do RAW) that does a superb job for a point and shoot... I would surely look at the newer canon P&S units if I was buying another...

Pat in NH

Geoffc

I recently bought a couple of Lumix TZ20 cameras for my wife and I. They were terrible, although I don't think all Lumix models are. I sold them after a month and bought two Nikon P7100 cameras. We are very pleased with the results and they shoot RAW. If you shoot Nikon DSLR you will feel at home with the dial layout and menus. I chose this model as it has an optical viewfinder as well as the screen plus a 35mm equivalent of 28-200mm which is better than most decent compacts like the Canon Gxx models. As the P7700 has replaced it they are now quite a bit cheaper.

Like the Canon Gxx models, this won't go in your shirt pocket but is much smaller than a DSLR.

JDFlood

I am a D800 shooter normally. It has spoiled me. So when I lighten up I do so with a Leica X2... Which is in my iPad mini bag at all times. I have a Fujifilm XE-1 for hiking when I want something more like my D800 (interchangeable lenses) but without the weight. I have a G12, but alas I really don't use it any more. It takes wonderful pictures under ideal conditions, but that is only 10% of the time. To keep a respectable performance for me I have found requires an APS-C sensor and really good optics. That is what brought me to the three cameras I listed. JD

Last edited by a moderator:

sunwharf

Have a look at the Fuji x100, it does raw and has superb image quality. I love mine :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NikonUser123

I have the same requirement. Know that every camera is a compromise of one sort or another, I have ordered the P7700. It has almost everything I personally want, raw being just one of the necessary features. The compromise is in size. It's a bit bigger than I wanted, but all the other great features make the bulk a bit easier to take. If you are experienced and want all the controls it might be a good choice for you.

For what you get, the price is right too. See Amazon. If you want to pay much more, there are other good ones to choose from. The P7700 hit my sweetspot for price, image quality and features.

Last edited:

JDFlood

I am normally a D800 shooter as well. I recognized the need to alway have a camera with me. Ultimately, I ended up with a Leica X2 and a Fuji XE-1. In the process, I also got a Canon G12. I never use it. If you want a D800 like device, that is small. Then don't even look at anything with a smaller sensor than APS-C. Under optimal circumstances the G12 or G15 will take a pretty good photo. But that is where the D800 really shines, anything other than perfect conditions. So either go Fuji X10 or Leica X2. The Fuji will have a bit better IQ and low light capability but the Leica ia way better auto and focus function. You may identify the need for an intermediate level... Interchangable lenses, light weight... Carry in iPad / Murse, then go for a Fuji X-E1 (or Xpro) or if you are well healed, a Leica M type 240. If you are pretty discerning in you choice of cameras, the more research you do the more you will realize the less options you have. My quest took about 9months an resulted in only one wrong turn... The G12, which quickly taught me the lesson of sensor size. JD