Customizing foam for camera bag

Moab Man

I have a rolling camera bag that has the traditional adjustable compartments for my cameras, lenses, stuff, etc... Because the saying, "keep the rubber side down" is merely a suggestion the ride in the Jeep can be harsh on both humans and my gear. I have decided to remove the inserts and insert foam so that I can make it snugly fit my gear. I have learned that shaping of foam can be done really well with a serrated knife. What I have been unable to figure out is how can I "scoop" out and remove the center area inside of the items outline as I don't need to go all the way through. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

kklor

The electric knife will allow you to sculpt it and not cut all the way through. Just go slow and easy. I have done it twice for my haliburton case, first regular knife and last time with an electric which made me feel like an artist. You could also get the foam in multiple layers or cut depth in half.
Kathleen

Moab Man

So I'm guessing you kept crosscutting and angle cutting until you whittled it down. Can't wait for the wife to walk in and see me going at the foam with an electric knife.

Eye-level

Banned
I am a car upholstery person and yes an electric knife is a good tool to cut foam with...to sculpt foam I use a die grinder with a stone grinding ball on it. High rpm...you might be able to do it with a stout dremel tool.

Somersetscott

Or do cut it all the way through and buy a flat 'sheet' form of foam and cut this to your (vertical) shape and poke it to the bottom of the shape? then it'll be uniform/pro looking :) however you go good luck! - perhaps post some pics of the masterpiece?

Eye-level

Banned
Look in your local phone book for upholstery supply houses...you can buy every kind of foam in whatever size shape thickness that you can imagine...