50mm Prime & Lens Flare

RockyNH_RIP

I recently received a AF-S 50mm F 1.8 G Prime lens... I have had excellent luck with it, meaning some good portraits and excellent industrial details.

It happened to be on the camera when I stopped to shoot a couple sunsets for an HDR... All 3 exposures had what appeared to be some type of flare. (normally for that I have a different zoom lens and never had any issues.) It seemed to improve or worsen as I composed the frame. (all samples are aperture priority)

Here is the shot.... 1/60 f/5.6 ISO 800 Downsized but no other processing..
I could see the flare in the viewer and as I changed the angle, it would go away.

DSC_1768.jpg

And this was a different spot & angle in the same area...
both f/ 5.6, 1 at 1/80 & 1 at 1/100 ISO 400
No flare.... I had earlier taken a couple from another location (into the tree's and no river) similar to below.

DSC_1782.jpg DSC_1777.jpg

I am guessing that it is just a condition with that lens when into direct light like that. If anyone can share thoughts, ideas, experiences with this or a similar lens I would appreciate it... (note, I took the 1st shot at 400 ISO also and same flare, also varied shutter by +/- 1ev bracketing and same flare appeared

Hopefully I provided enough info, if not, just ask and I will add more.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Pat in NH

Rick M

Different lenses will handle flare differently. The angle to the sun is the common factor as flare is an internal reflection of light within the lens barrel. Unique factors to individual lenses are the curvature of the lens, width of the front optic, how far it protrudes and the element configuration within the barrel. Coatings also effect/reduce flare in some lenses.

Dave_W

The Dude
Lens flare is actually caused by the light entering the lens and then reflecting back out. Lenses with the nano crystals and other coating materials can reduce the incidence of lens flare but I don't believe they've ever come up with a lens flare proof coating. However, I'm sure someday they will crack this nut and flare-less lenses will all be the rage.

RockyNH_RIP

Rick and Dave, thank you both! I appreciate the info... I notices affect of angle for as I changes the angle, it disappeared, but then so did my composition!! ;)

Have either of you (or anyone else) experienced it with the AF-S 50mm 1.8 prime??? I searched the sight, maybe I will go and google the net.. Trying to also find out if it is a trait of that lens for than others...

Again, thanks,

Pat in NH

Rick M

I do not shoot sunsets so I rarely encounter flare. All lenses are prone to it shooting into the sun, not sure if the 50 is more than others. Let us know what you find!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Rocky - do you use a multi-coated lens filter with your 50mm? They do help out reduce flare or use a hood as what Jeff had mentioned. Use a sheet of paper or the palm of your hand to block any direct light that may enter your lens directly.

Amongst the best lenses that Nikon has that I have tried is the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII. You can point it directly to the sun and not get any flare but you shouldn't since it will damage your camera sensor. :D

Sunrise_16-35mm_5 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Jeff, thanks for the reply and suggestion.. When I first saw it, I took a few shots, changing angle etc.. Then I put the hood on and it was same effect. I did find that the AF-S 50mm f/1.8 is known for that issue on direct light (like looking into the sun). Normally I would have used the 18-55 but this is what was on the camera at the time. My next reply will address that issue more..
Again, Thanks!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Rocky - do you use a multi-coated lens filter with your 50mm? They do help out reduce flare or use a hood as what Jeff had mentioned. Use a sheet of power or the palm of your hand to block any direct light that may enter your lens directly.

Amongst the best lenses that Nikon has that I have tried is the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII. You can point it directly to the sun and not get any flare but you shouldn't since it will damage your camera sensor. :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24917880@N02/8157668996/
Sunrise_16-35mm_5 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Glenn, thank you for the reply... I did try a hood but NOT multi coated filter. That is a good thought and a great option if I continue to have the issue.. (Note: I do not normally use this lens for sunrises1!!!)

I never even thought of trying to shield with my hand... That was "Duh" moment for sure. Next encounter, I guarantee I will try that!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

I do not shoot sunsets so I rarely encounter flare. All lenses are prone to it shooting into the sun, not sure if the 50 is more than others. Let us know what you find!

Rick,
As always, your replies and comments are appreciated. I do not usually use that lens for sunsets, it just happened to be there after shooting some industrial stuff.

My search on the net last night turned up a few reports that the AF-S 50mm f/1.8 was prone to lens flare when facing direct light. It was indicated the D version was very prone to flare and the G improved.

I am guessing I was just at an extreme but I was also reassured by other experiencing similar to me. In other words, it may be more prone at the extremes but the lens is fine and I just have to pick my choice of photos to use it for. (Which we all have to do anyway.

I could also try the "hand shield" or even a multicoated filter but likely will just avoid that "condition" that caused it.

Thanks all for the tips, thoughts and education.. (This also had "more sun" than my normal sunsets so maybe my 18 - 55 would have had the same results under that condition.

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Pat - the 50mm on DX is normally a portrait lens but on a FX camera, it is a normal lens since the field of view is much wider.

You should get this filter below for your Nikon 50mm f1.8G. They are one of the best and they don't degrade the image quality of the lens.

B+W 58mm UV Haze MRC 010M Filter 66-070222 B&H Photo Video

Thanks Glenn,

I usually use it for portrait style and or some of my indoor industrial shots (like posted in my 365 thread today. I will look up that filter but I also think I will not be venturing into that realm again with that lens... I have more flexibility with my 18-55mm

Pat in NH