Hockey Pictures

JMHPhotography

I would love any advice I can get on taking hockey pictures. I am aware that the lighting is terrible and never the same in any rink even in the same rink no two pads of ice have the same lighting. I use my D5100 with my Tamron 70-700 2.8 I got lucky with my last two games and was right up against the ice without plexi you can see those here.

JMH Photography : Predators U16 AA 2012-2013

I shoot in sport mode and bump up my ISO to a about 800 to avoid grain AF-A focus mode and dynamic area.

Any advice would be appreciate I started taking picutres for my husands hockey team as a hobby and now I love it and can imagine shooting trees and sunsets.

Thanks
Jeannette

fotojack

OK....having looked at most of your shots, I see the problem. You're shooting in Sports mode. Change your mode to Shutter priority, set your ISO to about 400 and set your f stop to f8. Set your shutter speed to 1/250. If you're using a tripod, turn off the anti vibration setting on your lens. It's not needed on a tripod (it will actually be worse).

Here's a handy tip for you. If it moves.....Shutter Priority. If it doesn't move.....Aperture Priority. :)

pedroj

Hi Jeannette...If it were I, I would shoot in manual at aperture F2.8 ISO up to 1600 auto focus set to AF-C then adjust the shutter to suit....Would also shoot raw and basic

AC016

Have a look at the link it shows what it is...

Uhhggg.... i guess i should really put my location in my profile, lol. I was being sarcastic due to the fact that the NHL is on strike and us Canucks have had NOOOOO Hockey Night in Canada this season. By the way, i live in Montreal, Canada, the Mecca of Hockey:)

Sambr

Uhhggg.... i guess i should really put my location in my profile, lol. I was being sarcastic due to the fact that the NHL is on strike and us Canucks have had NOOOOO Hockey Night in Canada this season. By the way, i live in Montreal, Canada, the Mecca of Hockey:)

LOL ya right - remember the Quebec Nordques - look where they are?? And a coach has to be able to speak french - please give me a break mecca of hockey!!!!

AC016

LOL ya right - remember the Quebec Nordques - look where they are?? And a coach has to be able to speak french - please give me a break mecca of hockey!!!!

How many stanley cups do the Canucks have?? 0. Don't see anything wrong with a coach in a province that is majority french needing to speak both languages, for he does have to interact with the french media as well. Besides, knowing two languages is better than one. Im going on my third. Bonne chance avec votre photographie:)

Moab Man

I see the problem. You're shooting in Sports mode. Change your mode to Shutter priority, set your ISO to about 400 and set your f stop to f8. Set your shutter speed to 1/250.

Fotojack, you said the problem is "sport mode" and that the shots should be done on shutter priority and you recommended a few settings. Because sport mode is for shooting action, what is it that you believe the sport mode is doing wrong (or could be doing better) when compared to the settings you recommended. I'm asking because I'm learning from you guys not because I'm questioning your recommendations.

fotojack

"Sport Mode" has factory pre selected settings. You don't have to do anything in any of the pre selected modes. The camera does it all for you. It doesn't necessarily mean they are correct for the situation you're trying to photograph. It just means that those settings are "generally" good for "most" situations. The PASM modes give YOU the control in order to make a good photograph. (to a far greater degree than pre selected modes). Manual mode is self evident. In Shutter Priority mode, you can select the shutter speed you determine would be best.....the camera then selects the proper aperture and ISO to complete the task (depending, of course, if Auto ISO is selected in the camera menu).
Hence the reason I suggested you shoot any fast moving sport or object in Shutter mode.

Moab Man

So what I'm getting from that is although it's a "sport" mode it still has a lot of concessions made to make it that all around for most cases settings. Thank you.

JMHPhotography

Well I used the setting suggested....horrible they were way to underexposed to even do anything with even in lightroom. That being said those setting may work if you have a cut out in the plexi and your right next to the ice but in my situation it didnt work at all. I am going back to sport mode and and just adjusting the ISO as needed but thanks for the tips everyone

AC016

I would love any advice I can get on taking hockey pictures. I am aware that the lighting is terrible and never the same in any rink even in the same rink no two pads of ice have the same lighting. I use my D5100 with my Tamron 70-700 2.8 I got lucky with my last two games and was right up against the ice without plexi you can see those here.

JMH Photography : Predators U16 AA 2012-2013

I shoot in sport mode and bump up my ISO to a about 800 to avoid grain AF-A focus mode and dynamic area.

Any advice would be appreciate I started taking picutres for my husands hockey team as a hobby and now I love it and can imagine shooting trees and sunsets.

Thanks
Jeannette

So, here is my advice. F8 is a bit high for inside an arena; therefore, keep your lens at 2.8. Put your AF on AF-C. Shoot JPEG, they are smaller files and easier on the buffer when you are using continuous shooting. Go up to about 1/500 for shutter and 400-800 for ISO - dont be afraid to go high in ISO with you 5100. Anyhow, you can try this or not. I can not guarantee that it will give you the results you want.

pedroj

Well I used the setting suggested....horrible they were way to underexposed to even do anything with even in lightroom. That being said those setting may work if you have a cut out in the plexi and your right next to the ice but in my situation it didnt work at all. I am going back to sport mode and and just adjusting the ISO as needed but thanks for the tips everyone

Did you try shooting in manual at F2.8...ISO1000...Shutter about 1/250 of a sec or faster...

dea

i think you need to adjust shutter speed, iso and bunch of other stuff to get a good picture. you cannot directly depend on fotojack's recommendation. it depends on your situation, the lighting and stuffs. fotojack just give u rough guidelines and it does not mean you need to follow it. be flexible and know the condition in the ice rank. and try to learn shooting in manual mode sometimes. you'll be absolutely amazed. happy shooting.

JMHPhotography

I have gotten so much better since this post. I am in manual mode now I have changed where I stand I used to be afraid to shoot up against the plexi if I cant get in the box or on the bench. I have learn to adjust setting as needed and now I shoot in raw. I know that any advice is always going to depend on which rink I am at or hell even which end of each rink differs. But thank you