16-35mm f/4G vs 17-55mm f/2.8G

BNR34RB26DETT

These are two of my future potential lenses.
I will be doing alot of video so im leaning towards VR
I mostly shoot cars and indoor photography.
SShould I go with
16-35 for the VR feature?
is there a big difference in quality between the two lenses?

than you

pedroj

I have the 16-35mm F4 and love it plus it is a FX lens where as the 17-55mm F2.8 isn't...

I've read a couple of reviews that say it's as sharp as the 24-700mm F2.8..

I think mine is as sharp as my 28-70mm F2.8...

I would suggest you google some reviews up and check for your self..

Sambr

I have both. The 16-35 will work on both FX & DX as the the 17-55 will only work with DX( you can put it on an FX camera however it's a wast of time) IQ wise the 17-55 rocks especially with a D7000 even wide open at 2.8 it's sharp.Built like a tank. As for the 16-35VR F4 great lens on my D700,D800 & D4 works like magic on all 3 great IQ and colours.

BackdoorArts

No experience with either, but as was mentioned if you're going to invest in a good piece of glass then don't limit yourself should you decide to upgrade from a DX to FX camera some day.

BNR34RB26DETT

so these are both great choices and similar in price
should i go with 16-35 since its got VR and i do a lot of videos?
or is there another lens i should consider

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
How well does the VR work with video? Does it really help? I thought it was just kind of punctual while the shutter would expose.

mr2_serious

If you shoot video, i assume you will be using a tripod? if so, you will have to turn off the VR anyways. I believe VR helps with handheld.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

stmv

you might want to research more on whether or not VR is of value in Video mode.

Nikon VR explained

I am not sure, he seems to advocate for faster shutter, should be off, and well, isn't video faster shutter? I am not an expert, and actually, I tend to keep my VR off, because I forget to turn it off when I should (like on tripod), so I find VR actually more of a pain, besides all the bulk Nikon keeps adding to lens systems.

Bring back the days of small simple solid, and great optic lens!

I noticed a trend of more complexity, bulkier, and worse, costier!

I would rather have a faster lens without VR. with of course, ultra low distortions.