Two New Lenses

Cowboybillybob1

I just got via UPS two lenses from B&H.
An AF-S 35mm 1.8G and an AF-S 50mm 1.8g.
I have been playing with these two today and am so happy so far. The 1.8 allows me to take photos sans flash. I think these will be perfect for Christmas photos at my 85 year old Mom's house with my three kids. I am going to be so annoying taking loads of photos.

I am new to this DSLR stuff but am having a blast so far. Photoshop CS6 is a bit daunting but I am getting beter.

I will try to post some photos if they are at all presentable.

Cowboybillybob1

Here is one of the first pics i have taken that looks kinda cool. I welcome some brutal critique.
Singer copy.jpg

suvlady

How are you liking the lenses now that you have had a few days to play with them? Are you liking one better than the other? I am new also and I was thinking of buying one. Which would you suggest?

Cowboybillybob1

That's hard to say. I am still getting used to them and they both do different things. It really depends on the situation.
I am going to use them a lot on Christmas day at a family get together. I suspect the 35mm will be better for group shots and the 50mm for more intimate situations. The 1.8 aperture will be good for shots without flash.
I may also bring along a 55 to 200 lens that will require a flash but may work out with people not knowing I am taking their pic since I will be further away.

Wish I can be more decisive here but I will know better after Christmas. Again, a lot depends on what you are trying to shoot and the situation.

As far as quality they both take clear and sharp shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

suvlady

Thanks for your reply. I hope you and your family enjoy the holidays! I will look forward to hearing your feedback after you have used the lenses in the real life situation. I'm leaning toward the 50mm, but I like the concept of the 35mm also. Shooting nice clear shots in low light without the flash is what I'm after also.

Happy Holidays!

suvlady

Well, I went to the store to buy one lens, and you can only guess what happened...I ended up with both. I won't have a chance to test them until tonight, but I'm excited to see how they can work. I have until Jan. 23rd to return one, if need be. But, since I got 18 months to pay them off at Best Buy, the odds are good I will keep them both.

I'm excited to see and hear your results!

D3200 / D60
DX Kit Lens - AFS 18-55 3.5
DX Zoom AFS 55-200 4.5
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8GLens
AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DXLens

Last edited:
Why will the 200 mm need flash ? have you not got your auto iso on 200-6400 AND FILL IN WHAT CAMERA YOU HAVE AND AT LEAST WHAT COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN ...

AC016

That's hard to say. I am still getting used to them and they both do different things. I really depends on the situation.
I am going to use them a lot on Christmas day at a family get together. I suspect the 35mm will be better for group shots and the 50mm for more intimate situations. The 1.8 aperture will be good for shots without flash.
I may also bring along a 55 to 200 lems that will require a flash but may work out with people not knowing I am taking their pic since I will be further away.

Wish I can be more decisive here but I will know better after Christmas. Again a lot depends on what you are trying to shoot and the situation.

As far as quality they both take clear and sharp shots

You won't need flash for the 200mm. Just boost up the ISO to get a bit faster shutter speed and keep the lens wide open.

Cowboybillybob1

You won't need flash for the 200mm. Just boost up the ISO to get a bit faster shutter speed and keep the lens wide open.

I would like to keep the ISO as low as I can. I am a real newbie here so I need some experience in actual situations. I figure if I can't annoy my family at Christmas dinner who can I annoy?

I will experiment with the different lenses and see what I come up with.

To SUVLADY: That is kinda what happened to me.I could not make up my mind but wanted a prime lens. I bought them online at B&H. Superfast delivery.

suvlady

That's hard to say. I am still getting used to them and they both do different things. It really depends on the situation.
I may also bring along a 55 to 200 lens that will require a flash but may work out with people not knowing I am taking their pic since I will be further away.

Wish I can be more decisive here but I will know better after Christmas. Again, a lot depends on what you are trying to shoot and the situation.

As far as quality they both take clear and sharp shots.

I'm curious how the Christmas pitures came out? What did you end up shooting with and how did they turn out?

Cowboybillybob1

I'm curious how the Christmas pitures came out? What did you end up shooting with and how did they turn out?

It did not turn out as well as thought it would. Everyone was in such a good mood they would certainly not pose and when my mom wanted a pic of her, me, and my sister my daughter took the pics. She had such a blast taking the shots I let her go with it.

Bottom line is I had a great Christmas family dinner and the pics took a back seat.

suvlady

It did not turn out as well as thought it would. Everyone was in such a good mood they would certainly not pose and when my mom wanted a pic of her, me, and my sister my daughter took the pics. She had such a blast taking the shots I let her go with it.

Bottom line is I had a great Christmas family dinner and the pics took a back seat.

Glad to hear you had a good holiday. Family is what matters most! Have a safe and Happy New Year and happy shooting!