New From NJ

KDOSHI

Hello all,
My name is Kunal Doshi, I'm a recent college graduate from Rutgers University and live in New Jersey. I came across the forum because my parents gave my their DSLR D5000 a couple days ago and was wondering if anyone could suggest good books/websites to really hone in on understanding how to completely use the camera. Also I have a 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens, and thought a 18-200mm lens would be a better fit for me mostly because its a hassle to carry around an extra lens and I'm going to be traveling soon and would like to carry as little as possible. Is it safe to purchase used equipment from Amazon/Craigslist? What's the big difference between Nikon lenses and Sigma Lenses?

Sorry if this is a hundred questions at once but just trying to clear some things up.

nice to meet you all, hope to hear from some of you soon.

Kunal

Incubate

Kunal,

Read the posts here, search the web for most digital photography handbooks to get the basics. Most importantly just click away on the camera, the more you do the more you'll learn... it's an addictive past time / profession. Enjoy.

pedroj

Hi and welcome Kunal....

Your manual is a good starting point....Google and you tube are very good learning tools...