Benefits of shooting Raw?

UmarPk

Banned
What are the benefits of shooting Raw? Is shooting RAW format ideal for most photos? How does it compare to other formats?

From what I've read people have suggested shooting Raw allows for my control of photo editing, how so?

Thanks

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You can adjust the exposure of a RAW file up to four or maybe even five times if is under exposed which is nearly impossible to a jpg file.

fotojack

A raw file in digital format is the equivalent of a negative in a film camera. It allows endless manipulation possibilities in post production. Highly useful if you're going to have professional prints made.......shooting professional type photos for a paying client.....if you like playing in Adobe Photoshop.......if you like SAYING that you shoot raw (believe me, a lot of people do).......

If you're just going to take pictures of the family, friends, a little landscape here and there, and not worry too much about post production corrections, uploading to the web, Facebook, etc..........shoot in jpeg mode. And raw is not a capitalized word. It's just that some people like to capitalize it for some unknown reason. :)

vindex1963

Every Time you process a Jpeg it's destructive but it's not for a raw file. The Jpeg degrades the RAW doesn't.
Google Jpeg VS Raw.

Pierro

Ist thing that springs to mind is the White Balance adjustment. If you shoot JPG, thats it brother ! If the camera got it wrong, and they sometimes do in weird lighting, you have no way to adjust this unless you shoot RAW. And as stated, the extra detail you can drag out of a RAW file is worth the effort, though this isnt the case with every camera out there, but by and large, its worth it