Looking for a 400mm reach zoom.

twinkle_2k86

Im after some help please.

Now i dont have big money for a long range zoom. I use to have a sigma 400mm 5.6 prime on my canon, and loved it.

Now im coming over to Nikon, what options are out there?

Im thinking, go back with the sigma 400mm prime again. or

Sigma 70-200 f2.8, and the 2x convertor? get 2 lens in one then.

The nikon 80-200 f 2.8 (not sure if you can fit a convertor?)

Or maybe theres something else that maybe better and cheaper?

Will be hopefully getting a D300 sometime after christmas to fit it to.

cheers

twinkle_2k86

i currently have no camera :(. i sold it last night. It was a canon 400d.

Selling all my canon gear and coming over to Nikon. So trying to get my head around the nikon lens about.
I would be looking at used lens, not new.

Have looked at the Tokina 80-400 lens as well. thats looks quite a nice lens for the money?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have no experience with the Tokina or other 3rd party long range zoom lenses. Camera equipment are always expensive especially if you want the best possible IQ. The Nikon lenses tend to retain their value better than the Tamron, Sigma or Tokina lenses. The Nikon 80-400mm lens has a very slow AF from what most owners mention.

Good luck with your next camera.

stmv

wow, sold your Canon Gear to jump ship, what Nikon swayed your boat?

The long range lens is my weak spot. I have older Manual 300 mms but frankly never been happy with their results, I have the 80-200 2.8 and use the old 2x and shoot manual, and get reasonable results, but loose my auto functions.

Even have a 500 Nikon F8 mirror lens (actually managed to get reasonable shots with that, but of course not optiminal).

So, I am leaning toward the 300 mm F4 also. heard that the sigma zooms are not bad.

welcome to Nikon, be interested in what you end up settling in on.

twinkle_2k86

wow, sold your Canon Gear to jump ship, what Nikon swayed your boat?

The long range lens is my weak spot. I have older Manual 300 mms but frankly never been happy with their results, I have the 80-200 2.8 and use the old 2x and shoot manual, and get reasonable results, but loose my auto functions.

Even have a 500 Nikon F8 mirror lens (actually managed to get reasonable shots with that, but of course not optiminal).

So, I am leaning toward the 300 mm F4 also. heard that the sigma zooms are not bad.

welcome to Nikon, be interested in what you end up settling in on.

Yep, i have had canon for 20 odd years now, i loved every min of it, but nothing in my price range was avalible in the canon range that I really liked.
My friend who takes pro photos, said go for a nikon, so have been round different camera shops and had a play with a few different nikons now.
Had a play with, D90, D5200,D5100, D7000, D300. Have dicieded on the D300, or d300s if i can find one cheap enough. It just felt right in the hands, and i liked the 51 point AF, and 6fps it was offering.

i still got 1 canon lens to sell, then im off shopping for the new one.

Last edited:

twinkle_2k86

i use to use the old sigma 400mm f5.6 (non APO) lens on my canon. Its was an old len but took ok photos. Trouble was, it had the canon problem ERR99 problem, so was stuck at f 5.6, so could never get it to the sweet spot of the lens :(

Stangman98

So are you looking for something that puts you at 400mm? Or something that is equivalent to 400mm?
With the D300 a 300mm lens is going to be 450mm. A 400mm lens is going to be 600mm
By the way, you will love the D300. Awesome camera. Wish I could get mine sold. LOL

twinkle_2k86

im after 400mm plus the crop so basicly 600mm. i had 400mm lens on my canon, and was perfect reach.
still hunting for a d300 lol, theres loads for sale, but all out of my price range.lol. need to sell my last canon lens and then have 450 to spend on a body. currently have 260 at the mo.

Stangman98

im after 400mm plus the crop so basicly 600mm. i had 400mm lens on my canon, and was perfect reach.
still hunting for a d300 lol, theres loads for sale, but all out of my price range.lol. need to sell my last canon lens and then have 450 to spend on a body. currently have 260 at the mo.

If you can get a 300 for that cheap that's awesome.

twinkle_2k86

If you can get a 300 for that cheap that's awesome.

The seem to range from £400 to £500 in the UK. Have seem them cheaper but have high shutter counts.
Seem one in a shop used with 44k shutter count for £400. all good condition etc. and they would do a deal on my lens against it as well, tempting.:D

Pierro

im after 400mm plus the crop so basicly 600mm.

Dont know how well up you are on the tech side of things, so if you're already clued up, apologies.

Assuming all things being equal...
You aren't going to get physically nearer to your subject using crop cameras. You aren't going to be as close to your subject as a 600mm lens will get you. Some people automatically think that a 400mm lens on a 1.5x crop camera, they'll get a 600mm lens.

What you actually get is the Field Of View equivalent to what a 600mm lens looks like on Full Frame. I.E the view looks cropped down, which is why APS-C bodies are called crop cameras, and why they're good for tele lenses, and birds and such. You dont get any magical extra reach