I like my new Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6G VR.

Ironwood

I have taken about a hundred photos with this lens since I got it yesterday.

This is the shot that has impressed me the most ( even though I missed part of his tail ).

He was asleep under a tree on my property, when he heard me coming he took off like a shot through the fence and onto the neighbours paddock, when I took this shot it almost felt like I was shooting from the hip, it all happened that fast.
He was probably doing about 30MPH when I clicked this.

@300mm f8 1/1250sec, ISO 800
DSC_0029.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
Man I'd hate to meet up close with one of those in the back yard especially if it were scared and/or p!ssed off. Nice sharp snap sir...I can see you really doing some good stuff with this lens.

Ironwood

Man I'd hate to meet up close with one of those in the back yard especially if it were scared and/or p!ssed off. Nice sharp snap sir...I can see you really doing some good stuff with this lens.

That Fella's only about 4.5 foot tall, but he could still do you a bit of damage.
Out where I used to work, we used to see real big ones all the time, over 6 foot tall, them big Bugga's dont back down.

Ironwood

This is one of that Bucks girlfriends. I took this handheld through a gap in the foliage, just before I took the shot above.

@300mm, f8, iso800, 1/40 sec.
DSC_0037.jpg

Ironwood

Why the high ISO? Were you shooting in a low light situation? Looks like broad daylight to me.

I took the one of the female in the bushes first, and that spot was very shaded, so I set the ISO to 800 to get a fast enough shutter speed.(I am not on my computer at home at the moment, so I cant tell you what the shutter speed was for that shot, but from memory it was still fairly low)
I still had the camera on the same settings when I came across the Buck, I am glad because I got a nice fast shutter speed which froze him nicely.
I was using aperture priority, by the way.

Ironwood

I am still liking this lens, I took this one late this afternoon, there wasnt enough light for the lens to AF, so I had to manual focus.

I wouldnt normally bother trying to handheld at 1/6 th second, but was just playing around seeing what I could come up with.

Handheld @300mm, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/6 th second.
DSC_0043.jpg

Rick M

I am still liking this lens, I took this one late this afternoon, there wasnt enough light for the lens to AF, so I had to manual focus.

I wouldnt normally bother trying to handheld at 1/6 th second, but was just playing around seeing what I could come up with.

Handheld @300mm, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/6 th second.
View attachment 27406

I like the results here. I think you'll do better shooting at 5.6 as you did with this shot. The background looks better and you can maximize your shutter speed.

Mikeydigs

I just got this lens ,, it arrived two days ago .........Im excited to get started . I want to use it for taking photos of horses jumping at shows. There are no kangaroos in my backyard !

ShallowShannon

Santa drove up today in a brown van and dropped one of these off today for me to play with. :D
Having to make do with a non-VR 55-200 for quite some time while I try to learn the ropes I can tell right away
this lens is going to be a BIG improvement. I know this isn't
what most would consider a pro lens but I had no idea how much better it was than the one I was using. These aren't the best shots, but I was able to get out and get an idea of what the differences in the two are.

Bukitimah

While I complain that the 70-300 vr is a slow lens. under the right condition, it is a fantastic lens and cost little. Shot taken about 30 ft away handheld.

5692830.jpg