Photographing Christmas lights?

Moab Man

Camera: Nikon D5100

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of my theory.

To shoot Christmas lights is a combination of three: aperture, shutter speed, and white balance. Assuming this is correct how do you set white balance for shooting at night. Just to clarify, I know how to set change white balance but what is "right" when shooting at night?

Any additional tips for this kind of shooting is welcome.

aperture, shutter speed, and white balance is for all photographs. One thing nice about digital photography is that you can see the results now. Shoot and look. Try something else and shot and look again. Chances are that the AUTO mode will give you pleasing results if you get the aperture and shutter speed correct.

Moab Man

aperture, shutter speed, and white balance is for all photographs.

LOL! Good point. I meant finding that right aperture to allow as much light in as possible while keeping the sharpness of the lights and then the shutter being open the right amount of time for the available light.

Thank you.

hand held, shoot fast enough to stop movement.
Tripod, stop down to get depth of field.
remember, You are taking pictures of light bulbs so it will probably be brighter than you think.
Don't over think it. Just go and play with it till you get what you want. Remember, you have a month to get it right.