SD card question

Gumbys69

So when I bought my camera I bought 2 32gb Sandisk extreme pro Memory cards which were supposed to be good for the camera. I just bought another one Verbatim pro 64gb that was a little cheaper. What do you guys use? Is there a huge difference? I heard that it is more for when you are using video and not taking still shots which I will probably never use The video portion very often if at all. Getting different stories from all the 15 year Olds selling the memory cards in the stores.

fotojack

Personally, I shoot with Lexar and Sandisk only. I also don't use anything larger than an 8GB card. Reason: should a card fail, I'd rather lose a 4 or an 8GB card than a 16 or a 32 or even a 64! I also use nothing less than a Class 6 card.....preferably a Class 10.
Having said all that, if you're going to shoot nothing but video, then sure, use a large card. Stay away from the Class 2 or 4 cards. They're not fast enough for video really.

And as Sam said.....what are you shooting....raw or jpeg? I'm gonna guess jpeg. :)

Sambr

Yes JPEG is what I shoot.

Okay why such large capacity cards?? Like Jack said if a card fails he will only lose a bit - however if your 32G or 64G fails you lose thousands of photos. Anyways it's your choice my advice is stick to Sandisk & Lexar - I only use Lexar 800x & 100x cards I find they work the best in my gear.

Gumbys69

Makes sense to buy a bunch of smaller cards in case one piles up with 1000+ pictures. I may return the 2 I haven't used and just do that, buy a bunch of small ones.

I only use Sandisc for my weddings as if it fails I can tell the Judge I used the best (and two of them in a D7000) but I have found unless you are using video it makes no difference if its class 4 or class 10 in the 3200 or the 7000
The cards I have had fail have been no brand cheapies and they usually fail soon after you get them

fotojack

I bought a 32 GB SanDiskHD and there is nothing on the label to tell what class it is. How do I determine that? Total noob here.

There should be a number inside a circle denoting the class of the card...ie: Class 2, Class 4, Class 6, Class 10, etc.
It should be on the face of the card. I was told by an old pro (older than me) that if there is no Class number, it's a knockoff. Stick to genuine brand name Lexars and SanDisks.

DSC_1499.JPG

Last edited:

Cowboybillybob1

There should be a number inside a circle denoting the class of the card...ie: Class 2, Class 4, Class 6, Class 10, etc.
It should be on the face of the card. I was told by an old pro (older than me) that if there is no Class number, it's a knockoff. Stick to genuine brand name Lexars and SanDisks.

View attachment 21782

Thank you so much. My Nikon L26 had a 10 class card which I reformatted to replace the 4 class I bought for the D3200. Both were 32GB but now I realize the value of lower GB cards.

I am way new to this stuff so thanks a lot. If anyone wants to know about acoustic or electric guitars please aske me. Been playing for over 40 years and that stuff I know about.

good quality provided its not a fake. be suspicious if it came direct from China . there are programmes on the web to let you test the capacity and speed of the card ...often a fake class 10 card will turn out to be a re badged class 4