USB Flash drive that fits in the Nikon USB port?

Dave_W

The Dude
Does anyone know if there exists a flash drive (ie - thumb drive for old folks like me) that will fit in the Nikon USB port? And if not, might there exist a connector/converter that will allow a flash drive to connect directly to the camera? It would be so darn handing to quickly back up your images to a thumbdrive in the field instead of waiting until you had access to a computer.

stmv

laughs, hey great idea, it would have to be a ultra small connector, and the nikon software in the camera would have to recognize the device and act like the master, otherwise, you would have to .... (oops,, won't tell you how,,, I better rush and write a patent). .

Fred Kingston

You can find a Male USB-Micro B to Female USB Female cable for about $2... The question is, will the camera recognize it ???

$(KGrHqN,!pUE7BcvhO(5BP-5mdzupg~~60_3.JPG

Last edited:

§am

You could use the USB lead that came with the camera and a converter/cross over of sorts, but I doubt very much your camera would recognise the drive in any way.
Nikon (or someone with the know how) would need to write a firmware with universal USB drivers within the camera itself, and then some kind of menu choice to allow copying from your mem card to the external device - way too much effort, when it's easier just to write firmware that says, hey I'm a camera and see me as an external memory source/device :)

What is available though are portable backup systems (which are not cheap btw), which could fit your needs.
Here's one example I found with a quick search; Wolverine 160GB PicPac II Digital Camera and Camcorder 7616 B&H
(Longer listing of devices here: Portable Data Storage| B&H Photo Video)

And here's one with no internal drive, but just to show how expensive these things are; HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA (casing only)

stmv

yes, besides, just carry a spare 32 G card. I just bought last week from best buy a 32 G card for seventeen dollars, wow, cheap. list price 85 dollars.

Ruidoso Bill

I use a vosonic when traveling, it has a 100gb laptop hard drive, it even has a small lcd so I can preview. But like stmv said the 32gb cards are getting pretty inexpensive.

SteveH

A smartphone could do what you need - I have an OTG (On the go) cable for my Android phone, which is basically a convertor then I can plug the camera cable into it... This allows my phone (With 32Gb storage) to see the camera as storage and copy files over using a free app.

Cochese

With DSLR dashboard you can use your phone as the storage device for pics, among other things. You just need the USB cable that comes with your camera, a phone that works in USB slave mode (I have a Galaxy S3), and an adapter for your phone like this: Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories (I ordered one from a vendor in NY instead of the default one that comes up now from Hongkong)

I might have to try this for uploading pics on the road. Thanks.