"Anybody can do sunsets." I never needed to be special anyway.

TedG954

In one of the posts, I read "Anybody can do a sunset."

I thought it was a pretty shallow statement from someone who obviously thinks they know everything, probably about everything.

Well, if that's the case, I've proved that I'm an anybody. I guess that's better than being a nobody.

If YOU like taking sunset photos.... that's all that matters. Enjoy.

View attachment 21554

View attachment 21555

View attachment 21556
View attachment 21563

Last edited:

Philnz

In one of the posts, I read "Anybody can do a sunset."

I thought it was a pretty shallow statement from someone who obviously thinks they know everything, probably about everything.

Well, if that's the case, I've proved that I'm an anybody. I guess that's better than being a nobody.

If YOU like taking sunset photos.... that's all that matters. Enjoy.

View attachment 21554

View attachment 21555

View attachment 21556
Not in the least trying to put you down Ted, but you have to agree, sunset photos are;:pride: "Ten a Penny" or should that be "Ten a Dollar"? Nice photos, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 70's when I was just getting into photography I had an instructor that called these types of photos "Dewy Fern Photos". These are the photos that everyone takes. Occasionally they come out looking pretty good. BUT it takes knowledge and training and a bit of luck to get a truly great dewy fern photo. They are also some of the most beautiful examples of photography out there. Sunset photos are "ten for a dollar" but truly great sunset photos are one in a million. We all need to strive for that one great photo and never put anyone down for trying.

Last edited:

stmv

same can be said on so many subjects, I go back and back to a circuit of water falls, you would think, that after 10 years of shooting one falls, it would be done, but no, so much to change, learn, and to grow from each shot.

Same for sunsets, Just like the waterfalls, can't say I have even come close to that perfect sunset, some better then others, but the quest continues.

TedG954

Not in the lest trying to put you down Ted but you have to agree, sunset photos are;:pride: "Ten a Penny" or should that be "Ten a Dollar"? Nice photos by the way.

No offense taken. :)

But the same can be said for flowers, or faces for that matter. Barns, buildings, birds....... I guess they're all "ten a penny". But, if someone enjoys their camera and takes nothing but photos of stop signs, who am I to make any less of their efforts.

We're not all professionals. Nor are a lot of us world travelers. For me, this is a hobby, plain and simple. I definitely think we should all try different things like panos, portraits, landscapes, and all the other scenes available, but that is only my personal opinion.

In the world of creative personalities, we should all tread lightly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. OR.... I don't know nothin' 'bout art, but I know what I like. Either one works for me. :cool:

stmv

One thing I really like about being old is that I really don't care what everyone thinks anymore. I just do what I like to do and if others like it all the better.

Keep up the good work TedG954

here here, yes, totally, I try to make pictures that personally brings some pleasure viewing, and for me, if others like them, great, but,, trying to make photos to please only others, well, that is like a dog chasing its own tail.

Mestre

One thing I learned in the past years was that everyone can shoot sunsets, the trick is getting a balanced photo regarding exposure.

Your photos are quiet good but if you had a reverse filter to cut some of the sun's light the first plan will be more than some dark areas.

TedG954

One thing I learned in the past years was that everyone can shoot sunsets, the trick is getting a balanced photo regarding exposure.

Your photos are quiet good but if you had a reverse filter to cut some of the sun's light the first plan will be more than some dark areas.

Thank you. I am not familiar with reverse filters. I'll do some research.

navcom

Pretty much agree with most folks here. Anyone can shoot sunrises but anyone can also shoot just about anything else. While there are some technical differences when dealing with dynamic range and attempting to get the sun to "look right", what usually separates a "documentation shot" from art is no different than any other subject...proper composition.

Interestingly enough, I'm actually in the process of writing a book on shooting sunrises (should be done before years end if my wife keeps my honey-do list to a minimum.). I'm certainly not a great author or anything! :) But through the years, I've seen people struggle through trying to shoot sunrises better (myself included!) as they are a very popular subject for obvious reasons. The questions that arise and the answers to those questions were the basis for the book, not just another "how to" periodical.

Anyway, the top two things we struggle with when taking sunrise photographs, in my opinion, are dealing with dynamic range properly and creating a compelling composition....the latter being the same issue we struggle with in ALL photographs.

While not always the case, in most sunrise photographs, the sun or pretty sky itself doesn't make for a very compelling main subject. It's easy to snap away at the sky and sun because that's what we are drawn to but they usually end up being just the documentation of another sunrise. This is the reason for so many negative comments about sunrise photos and the attitude that "anyone can take them".

I've used the "cake and frosting" metaphor when teaching how to shoot these gems. The sun should be considered more like frosting on a cake. Plain frosting is really sweet just like the sun and the pretty sky colors, but it gets overwhelming really fast and most of us can't eat much. Plain cake is just fine by itself but combine frosting and you have something special.

It's usually easier to get a compelling image if something else is the main subject other than the sun. This other subject is your "cake" and it should be compelling even without the sun or colorful sky. Then you can include the sun/sky to shine down and blanket your main subject, becoming the frosting of the composition. Using this thought process, you can usually come up with images that are a step above ordinary.

This isn't always the best way to shoot sunrises and sunsets, but it does get us away from "shotgun" photography a bit...center then sun in the crosshairs and pull the trigger. And just like the rule of thirds, it's not best for every image but it can get you thinking about the composition.

My two cents.

Jeff

Philnz

Pretty much agree with most folks here. Anyone can shoot sunrises but anyone can also shoot just about anything else. While there are some technical differences when dealing with dynamic range and attempting to get the sun to "look right", what usually separates a "documentation shot" from art is no different than any other subject...proper composition.

Interestingly enough, I'm actually in the process of writing a book on shooting sunrises (should be done before years end if my wife keeps my honey-do list to a minimum.). I'm certainly not a great author or anything! :) But through the years, I've seen people struggle through trying to shoot sunrises better (myself included!) as they are a very popular subject for obvious reasons. The questions that arise and the answers to those questions were the basis for the book, not just another "how to" periodical.

Anyway, the top two things we struggle with when taking sunrise photographs, in my opinion, are dealing with dynamic range properly and creating a compelling composition....the latter being the same issue we struggle with in ALL photographs.

While not always the case, in most sunrise photographs, the sun or pretty sky itself doesn't make for a very compelling main subject. It's easy to snap away at the sky and sun because that's what we are drawn to but they usually end up being just the documentation of another sunrise. This is the reason for so many negative comments about sunrise photos and the attitude that "anyone can take them".

I've used the "cake and frosting" metaphor when teaching how to shoot these gems. The sun should be considered more like frosting on a cake. Plain frosting is really sweet just like the sun and the pretty sky colors, but it gets overwhelming really fast and most of us can't eat much. Plain cake is just fine by itself but combine frosting and you have something special.

It's usually easier to get a compelling image if something else is the main subject other than the sun. This other subject is your "cake" and it should be compelling even without the sun or colorful sky. Then you can include the sun/sky to shine down and blanket your main subject, becoming the frosting of the composition. Using this thought process, you can usually come up with images that are a step above ordinary.

This isn't always the best way to shoot sunrises and sunsets, but it does get us away from "shotgun" photography a bit...center then sun in the crosshairs and pull the trigger. And just like the rule of thirds, it's not best for every image but it can get you thinking about the composition.

My two cents.

Jeff
Thank you