G'day from South Australia

n4mv3t

G'day ... recently my trusty 'point and shoot' 10 year old Olympus grew some legs and hid from me, so I have been forced to "do my final homework" on DSLR's (they have been a temptation for quite a few years) and purchased a D5100 (nicknamed 'N4'). Well, after a couple weeks of loving the auto/point and shoot, my "how does this work" side has kicked-in and so I am here ('cos you seem to be a friendly, helpful lot) ... gradually I'll learn stuff, I'm no camera Rembrandt so don't expect toooo much, I'm just going to have a lot of fun with 'N4' :cool: ... "Doc"
PS ... yes, I do read the manual :D ... and I will ask questions when confused :)

fotojack

G'day....and welcome to Nikonites. Glad you could make it. :)

Question #1: Is that avatar picture really you? :)

Question #2: Where in South Australia? I have relatives all over that country, so I'm just curious. :)

Question #3: what does the "mv3t" stand for then? ;) At first, I thought n4mv3t was code for NamVet.....but I could be wrong. :)

Question #4: What lens came with your camera?

This is one of the reasons we ask people to fill out their profile as complete as possible, so as to give us an idea of how to answer any questions you may have. It's not being nosey or intrusive on our part.....it's just that we want to get to know ya better! :)

n4mv3t

G'day....and welcome to Nikonites. Glad you could make it. :)

Question #1: Is that avatar picture really you? :)

Question #2: Where in South Australia? I have relatives all over that country, so I'm just curious. :)

Question #3: what does the "mv3t" stand for then? ;) At first, I thought n4mv3t was code for NamVet.....but I could be wrong. :)

Question #4: What lens came with your camera?

This is one of the reasons we ask people to fill out their profile as complete as possible, so as to give us an idea of how to answer any questions you may have. It's not being nosey or intrusive on our part.....it's just that we want to get to know ya better! :)

Thanks for the welcome fotojack , now to answer your questions:-
Question #1: Is that avatar picture really you? - yes, pic taken by a friend on 18th Aug. 2011, (candid group shot at a Memorial Service) I removed the background in Photoshop, found a nice cloudy sky and used that for the bg.
Question #2: Where in South Australia? - about 20 minutes N.E. of Balaklava (which is about 100kms north of Adelaide)
Question #3: what does the "mv3t" stand for then? - yeppers, yer right, NamVet ... Aust Army, Infantry Platoon Medic, 1970.
Question #4: What lens came with your camera? - 'N4' (= N 4 Nikon ... yeah, i know, I'm dismal at originality :D) came new as a 'package'; camera body, 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses.
I'll have a look at profile details again and see how I fit the above, plus more into it ... btw, I never have problems with questions, so ask away ... anyhow, I can always say "not tellin" :highly_amused:
"Doc" :)

n4mv3t

pedroj
- thanks, I am very busy tomorrow, but I'll try out your suggestion on the weekend when I have lots of "play" time :)

madcapmagishion
- thanks, for far all is good :)