DX vs. FX Format Lenses

keywestceleste

I have a well-seasoned Nikon D300 on which I typically use a Sigma 18-200mm lens. Recently, I’ve noticed the focus on my lens is sporadic --- focuses most of the time but starting to not-focus more and more. Time for a new lens?

Also…
I’m looking to buy a new lens anyway. Have been reading up on Nikkor 18-300mm and Nikkor 28-300mm. Will the Nikkor 18-300mm (billed as a DX format lens) work with an FX format camera (which I hope to buy in the future)? Likewise, if I get the Nikon 28-300mm (an FX format lens), will it work fine in the interim on my D300? Any compatibility/performance issues?

Rick M

The 18-300 will only work in dx format. It will work on the newer Fx bodies that have the Dx crop option, but thats a waste of having an Fx body. The 28-300 will work on a Dx body, but the crop factor has you starting out at 42mm at the wide end.

pedroj

The 18-300 dx will work on FX but it will half the megapixels...

The 28-300mm FX will work on your D300 no problems...

Eye-level

Banned
Isn't there an advantage when using FX lenses on DX bodies? Don't you get less light falloff and better IQ because the smaller sensor is utilizing the sharpest part of the lens?

§am

Jeff - I've heard that too.
The DX sensor can only capture the centre of the FX lens, and as that's the sharpest, you get an advantage of a 'better picture' (all be it you probably paid a little extra for the benefit!)

Eye-level

Banned
Sam I have noticed that when using my old lenses on the DSLR (D5000) I seem to get a better image edge to edge...now if I could only just be one of the blessed few who take great pictures naturally that would be great!

Mestre

Isn't there an advantage when using FX lenses on DX bodies? Don't you get less light falloff and better IQ because the smaller sensor is utilizing the sharpest part of the lens?

True, my 24-70 Sigma had less lightoff in the D7000 that in the D600 but LR4 corrects that.

I had the same issue with my 10-20 in the D7000, but in the end all utrawide have similar problems with the exception of the 14-24.

But you loose a lot when shooting landscape, I miss my 10mm in DX when compared to the 24 FX.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm a little confused on the topic or the main point of the topic. IS it DX vs FX lenses (value and performance wise) or AF speed. Fastest and one of the best AF zoom lenses with superb image quality would be the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8. 3rd party lenses are normally slow and noisy when focusing. The OP probably knows this already.