Spruce up my D700 rubbers?!

Marty B

Hi everyone. This is my first post to this forum. I hope I'll be able to contribute here myself in the near future.

First question: The black rubberised part (for example, the grip) on my D700 is looking a bit dull and grey, and I wanted to try to clean it with something which will hopefully bring out some of the darker black that it used to look like. Does anyone have any tips on how to revive the black rubber type coating on the D700?

Cheers,

Marty.

AC016

how about the stuff that cleans your tires? Might want to try it on a very small spot on the rubber grip and see what happens.

Somersetscott

Perhaps the most unusual answer in the world, smooth peanut butter - the oil in it seems to work wanders on dull/sun damaged rubber and plastics. Best to rub a thin layer on let it soak in for 5mins or so then rub off.

However! be careful not to let it dry and it might be difficult to rub off :) best to try a very small patch on an inconspicuos part. Push comes to shove, could lick it off :rolleyes:

Good luck, Scott

fotojack

If there's a SCUBA shop near you, I would go and get the silicon spray they use to keep neoprene seals clean and supple. It's food grade and safe to use on any rubber and neoprene material.

pedroj

Perhaps the most unusual answer in the world, smooth peanut butter - the oil in it seems to work wanders on dull/sun damaged rubber and plastics. Best to rub a thin layer on let it soak in for 5mins or so then rub off.

However! be careful not to let it dry and it might be difficult to rub off :) best to try a very small patch on an inconspicuos part. Push comes to shove, could lick it off :rolleyes:

Good luck, Scott

Might work "but I wouldn't do it"