Camera upgrade

JMHPhotography

hello any and all!

I need some advice. I shoot Hockey games on a regular basis. (most horrible sport for newbie but I love it). I am looking to maybe upgrade my camera next year I have the D5100 and do NOT have an unlimited budget. I know investing in good glass matters as well I have the tamron 70- 200 for sports and the nikon 50 1.8 for portrait. I am hearing the D5200 could be a good upgrade for sports photography. And I would love to be able to keep my 5100 as a back up or just to have the ability not to have to change lenses during a shoot.

Thanks
Jeannette

§am

What is your budget though?
I'd say your choices are dependent on this, as a new body may help, but if your lens is not up to it, then any new body won't help you achieve what you're looking for

JMHPhotography

I would like to stay around 1200 and I am not opposed to a used body from a reputable seller I have 5 DX lenses and I am not looking to completely redesign my camera bag

eurotrash

With a username like that, I would have assumed you already knew what you needed! Kidding, kidding...
If it was me, I'd invest in a 70-200 f/2.8 and be done. No camera body upgrade really needed. What you would need is at least 5fps shooting, which approaches the $1k mark for body only (d7000). Faster glass will likely be better in that hockey scenario for you, plus, when you CAN afford to upgrade, it's one less thing to worry about. If your budget is 1200, then you have to ask yourself which is more important, faster/longer glass, or a faster shooting body?

JMHPhotography

I own the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and love it its a workout to shoot with though I cant use a stick to shoot because I were I need to stand in any given rink

Sambr

I shoot Roller Derby & Junior Hockey what I used a D3s & 70-200vr with a stick i don't have an issue with the Mono pod at all shooting hockey or roller derby. What you might want to pick up is a D300s with a grip it can give you 8fps if you use AA batteries

stmv

wow,, D300S is still 1700 dollars, D600 is on sell right now for 1950, I would vote for either a D600 if you can stretch your budget, and then sell off you DX lens, and get start on FX lens, OR, D7000 or perhaps soon to be released replacement.

JMHPhotography

Sam I am only 4ft 11 most of the time I am standing on a railing shooting through plexi at an ameture rink in a nightmare since its very old and very dinged up

Sambr

wow,, D300S is still 1700 dollars, D600 is on sell right now for 1950, I would vote for either a D600 if you can stretch your budget, and then sell off you DX lens, and get start on FX lens, OR, D7000 or perhaps soon to be released replacement.

There are dozens of D300s around used for $900.00 plus he can continue to use his DX glass. Some of the used D300s have very little mileage. Check it out. Even a D300 is very capable and would be a bit less.

Rick M

I wouldn't really consider going from D5100 to D5200 much of an upgrade. D300s or D7000 if you want to stay in Dx. Might be worth waiting a few months, a new Dx is sure to be around the corner and 1200 will get you close to it.

eurotrash

Yea, if you really feel you need a better body, hold out until at least after the holidays. There's likely to be options out there since people will likely be trading in their cameras and lenses for the "next best thing" anyway. At the very least you can save up a few hundred more and get something real nice to play with instead of the 5200, which IMHO, isn't going to do it for ya if faster fps is really what you need (though honestly, I can't see needing more than 3-4fps for most anything.)

stmv

There are dozens of D300s around used for $900.00 plus he can continue to use his DX glass. Some of the used D300s have very little mileage. Check it out. Even a D300 is very capable and would be a bit less.

Of course, used opens up lots of options. I sold my D300 for only 500 dollars,, and the new owner loves it. If going used, then a solid D300 would be awesome.

JMHPhotography

Thank you everyone for the advice I am absolutely waiting till after the holidays and I am not much of an impulse buyer when it comes to my equipment it took me 4 months to decide on my Tamron. Having other nikonites with sound advice helps a lot. I am definelty looking into a used 300 but am curious to see where it goes with the 7000 as well. I will be sure to post when a new addition to the family arrives