Auto Logout?

ckm

I notice that if I log in and then take a long time writing a response to a thread that something akin to getting auto logged out occurs and it prompts me to log in and then it conveniently loses my response. (Needless to say, very annoying)

Can someone explain to me what is happening and tell me if there is a way to make it quit doing this?
If there isn't a way to get it to stop, can someone tell me how long I have to submit a reply before it does this?

Thanks
Calvin

§am

I've only ever noticed that happen on (most) forums if for example, you open up a number of different posts in different windows/tabs.
You then log in on one, but not another, and when you switch between and type a response it prompts a login and bam your reply goes!!

Also, worth clearing down your cache and cookies as any wayward files can cause odd behaviour on sites.

ckm

It's done it to me 3 times this week. If I was any smarter I'd learn. :)

I don't have any other windows/tabs open. I open my browser, hit the Nikonites site, log in, open a reply pane, type most of my response, then get distracted and go away 20-30 minutes, return and finish my message, hit Post Quick Reply and it asks me to log in, when I do it gives me a blank screen and I lose everything.

Does the Nikonites site have a auto-logout feature?
If so, can it be shut off or at least given a longer wait period?

§am

Not sure how the board is set up for logins, logouts, but I login once and no matter how many times I close the browser I stay logged in until I clear down my internet settings.

I'd suggest do that as a starter - a lot of forums reply on cookies for things like login staying logged in.

ckm

I'm using the latest version of FF. I haven't tried any other browsers yet and I haven't tried "Remember Me".
I'll try "Remember Me" and see if that works - even though I don't know what remembering me has to do with getting logged off automatically. It seems there is an auto-logout feature here. I've had this problem before with bank and stock brokerage websites that are hyper-sensitive about security, but why would a forum site need it? If Nikonites does have an auto-logout feature it will be the first of many forums I've used that does.

Thanks!

ckm

This is a test. This line typed with the "Remember Me" feature enabled.

This line typed 2 hours later. If this posts, the "Remember Me" feature worked.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm using the latest version of FF. I haven't tried any other browsers yet and I haven't tried "Remember Me".
I'll try "Remember Me" and see if that works - even though I don't know what remembering me has to do with getting logged off automatically. It seems there is an auto-logout feature here. I've had this problem before with bank and stock brokerage websites that are hyper-sensitive about security, but why would a forum site need it? If Nikonites does have an auto-logout feature it will be the first of many forums I've used that does.

Thanks!

The remember me is what keeps you logged in. That will definitely solve the problem :)

sent from my phone