Promaster P180 2-Light Studio Kit with D90 & D5100 Wireless Trigger

gerfoto

Hello all,

I am new with studio flash systems.

I just bought the Promaster P180 2-Light Studio Kit but everytime I want to trigger the external flashes I have to pop-up the built-in flash. So, not sure what kind of a wireless trigger/hot shoe to buy so I can trigger the flash without poping up the built-in flash. Thanks for your help,

G

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 12.49.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 12.49.30 PM.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,777

Fred Kingston

Amazon.com: RainbowImaging Flash Hot Shoe to PC Sync Socket Convert Adapter for Nikon TTL and Standard ISO 518 Hot Shoe Camera and Flashes: Camera & Photo

You need one of these and a long sync cord... Put the converter on the camera, and connect one light with the long sync cord... The camera will fire the one light, and the optical sensor on the second light will fire the second light...

Otherwise you need a wireless trigger on the camera, with the wireless remote connected with a sync cord to a single light...

If you have a speed light... The D90 can fire the speed light using commander mode, and the speed light will trigger the optical sensors on the P180s...

You can also configure the D90 so that the built-in flash triggers the optical sensors of the P180s, but the D90s flash won't provide any significant light to the camera...

Pick yer poison... :sentimental:

gerfoto

Hello FredKingston,

Thanks for your quick reply.

If I want to get a wireless trigger for the D90, D5100 and Cannon Rebel XSim which one do you recommend ? In this setup the wireless trigger is mounted on the camera hot-shoe and and sync cord cable connected to one light while hanging the wireless remote, right? If so, how the second light will get triggered ?

I do have a speed light 700, I did set the D90 in Commander mode and was able to trigger the external flashes. But, the SB-700 flashes also. Is that the way it needs to work?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my ignorance.

G

Fred Kingston

Yes... Use the Sb-700 as a third light (you can never have too many lights) Use commander mode to trigger the SB-700, and the 700 will trigger the P180 lights... no wires anywhere... You don't need an on camera trigger... The D90 can control everything...

simonhodge

Yes... Use the Sb-700 as a third light (you can never have too many lights) Use commander mode to trigger the SB-700, and the 700 will trigger the P180 lights... no wires anywhere... You don't need an on camera trigger... The D90 can control everything...

I may be wrong but not sure that will work. Surely the pre-flash on CLS will trigger the P180s at the wrong time?

scotian mandie

You all seem very knowlegeable any idea what i need for two p180s to fire off a rebel t1i help before i sell these lights i just use them to play sround and take photos of my little guy. Got these from a friend last year and they are still sitting here as i have no clue what i need. I used to just use off camera flash until my little cactus triggers i had wènt caput on me lol