Sigma Lens listed on ebay for my D3100. advice needed for this Sigma Lens

Maxie

Sigma 170-500mm f/5.6-6.3 APO Aspherical AF-MF zoom Lens for Nikon SLR Camera. Is this a lens that you would recommend for my D3100 and what should my max bid be in your honest opinion? I'm looking for a lens that is as long distance as I can afford. fyi, I really wish I could afford a lens that would reach the moon.... But, then I woke up and returned to earth, lol.

Also, if you know of anyone that is selling a lens that would work on my D3100, please let me know. A lens that is in the 500mm range that you guys would approve of.

Please let me know if I'm breaking any forum rules by posting this.

Here is the link: Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO Aspherical AF-MF zoom Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras 0081097000265 | eBay

Thanks guys!

Maxie

Pierro

That looks like the 1st version of the 2 models Sigma made of the 170-500. There was also the 170-500 APO DG, which had ( apparently ) better lens coatings

The same caveats apply as was said about the 150-500 OS HSM. This is another slow lens, and will exhibit some softness at full telephoto. Differences are that the HSM ultra sonic AF drive is missing, so AF will be noisier. There is no Image Stabilisation. Its possible to get decent pictures with this lens as long as you work within its peculiarities, and dont expect miracles at this end of the market

Dont know how much you would pay as we have no idea what country you are from, as this info is missing from your profile. Different prices for different markets

Last edited:

Crashle

I have the 70mm-300mm Sigma for my D3100 and I think for the price, its fine. It is noisy when it is an auto focus. I never use the auto focus anyway so I personally did not care about the noise. I recommend it because of the cheap price and it works fine. It does its job. I read for hours on it before I bought it and the only real complaints were the noise complaints with the auto focus.

Maxie

I really don't care about noise. But I'm taking very long shots and my eye's aren't what they once were, AF is kinda needed. Although, I've been having luck with MF even with my vision.

Although, I've been using a 200mm lens and not sure how much difference there will be getting use to a 500mm lens. As I've said in another thread, I somewhat new to this.

I must say it's very nice to have found this forum. I lost the bid on the Nikon 170-300mm. Which is good. Now I have the ability to get the right lens for the money I have to spend.

Thanks Guys.

Max

Crashle

This picture was taken with my Sigma 70mm-300mm and this is max zoom on macro. I thought the quality of the zoom exceeded my expectations. If i remember correctly, the zoom was on AF. So I think Sigma is a fine choice.
8214841180_d388275427_z.jpg

Pierro

I expect the Sigma 150-500, and in fact most lenses that are freely available in both the US and UK, to be cheaper for you, as we Brits get royally ripped off for just about everything.

You can buy a used Sig 150-500 OS HSM here for around £450 average. I expect that to be lower in the US, though you only mentioned taking shots of planes, so you dont have to have 500mm for those

Maxie

I expect the Sigma 150-500, and in fact most lenses that are freely available in both the US and UK, to be cheaper for you, as we Brits get royally ripped off for just about everything.

You can buy a used Sig 150-500 OS HSM here for around £450 average. I expect that to be lower in the US, though you only mentioned taking shots of planes, so you dont have to have 500mm for those

Well, they are kind of far way. I'm using a 55-200mm Nikkor and still can't bring them in. Watching planes to me is like those that bird watch.

Where is the best place to find a lens for a good price?

Pierro

To get a used 150-500 in the US, i'd better leave that to our US pals, as they'll know who's good to buy from, but I'm pretty sure B&H have a good rep, but there will be others

Maxie

It's not looking like I'm going to be able to afford the Sigma 500mm lens. However, I ran across two lenses, I've listed below. One is on my wish list. Not sure what it will sell for and the other is a Sigma 400mm. I'm thinking that if I can't afford a 500mm lens then I might be able to afford a 400mm? What do you guys think?

I know, I have the patience of a 12 year old and should take the time to save up my pennies in order to get what I really like, lol.

All opinions are welcome.

Sigma 150 mm - 500 mm F/5.0-6.3 APO HSM DG OS Lens For Nikon 0150000581686 | eBay

Sigma: 120 mm - 400 mm, F/4.5-5.6, DG, HSM, APO, OS, DG Telephoto Zoom Lens. 085126728557 | eBay

Maxie

OK, I was able to purchase a Nikon AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED IF VR after selling the 55-200mm Nikon. I hope to have it by this weekend. Can't wait. Just wish I could have afforded the 150-500 Sigma :/ Maybe I'll be able to afford the Sigma after the new year? I'll be saving up for it. It really looks like a nice lens.

Last edited by a moderator:

twinkle_2k86

I shoot a fair bit of aviation, i have been using a 400mm F5.6 sigma prime lens. That had about the right reach for me. But if i had the money i would say the sigma Bigma (50-500mm) lens. This is the choice most go for i beleave.