Need Advice: 500mm Telephoto Lens for Nikon D3100

Maxie

I just got a Nikon D3100 and have two lenses. Nikon SWM VR Aspherical 28m/092ft 52 18-55mm1:3.5-5.6G and a AF-S Nikkor DX 55-200MM 1:4-5.6G ED VR

I'm looking for a lens that's in the 500mm range. If I had the money I would get something even better, but I'm not in that position right now. It really looks like the Sigma is a good lens from what I've read, but I'm open for any suggestions.

Can I find a 150-500mm Sigma or equivalent for around $400.00 or so with Auto focus and stabilization? If not, I can save my pennies for the proper lens to suit my purpose. I'm looking for a lens that will take shots at great distances, within my budget.

I lost the bid on the 170-300mm Nikkor lens on ebay. Which I'm kind happy about right now since I've found this site and have experts that can property direct me. Although, it really looked like a nice lens, but might not have been strong enough for what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys.

Max

Maxie

I'm kinda new to shooting above ground. I've been taking photos as a diver with the Nikon V. Which I've used above ground from time to time with great results as well. I also have a Cannon AE-1 P film camera that I've used for years. However, I've been away from shooting photos for a while. I still have a lot to learn.

Rick M

What do you want to shoot which requires such range? With the crop factor a 500mm lens has the view of 750mm. I'd rather have a higher quality 300mm lens than a lower quality 500.