does anyone have pictures of wide angle vs regular?

mashburn

I am looking at getting a wide angle lens. I keep finding myself needing the extra room and also my lowest lens is 50MM.
-I keep finding me inside small houses and cannot back up far enough to get everyone in the shoot for the christmas tree. I have been doing research on Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I love the F stop being low because I love my 50MM because it goes to 1.8 which makes for some great single person pictures.
- I will also use it on landscape. and found several times I needed a wide angel. example light houses.

so here is my question. does anyone have a wide angle or better yet, do they have the tokina?
-If so can you take a picture with it and then take a picture at the exact same spot with a 50MM so I can see how much more space I am going to get.

thanks

fotojack

Trust me.....get the Tokina 11 - 16. This is one amazing lens! If I had the money, I would JUMP at the chance of getting one of these! I've used my buddies and I can't say enough about it.

AC016

I am thinking that you can somewhat experiment with your 200mm lens, atleast you will get an idea. Go out to 200 and pull back 40mm or so. I know that on my 18-55, there is a pretty big difference between 55mm and 18mm.

Lscha

I bought the Tokina 12-24mm and it is just what I wanted. Very happy with it. These were taken standing in the same spot and trying to place the view in the upper left corner as close as I can. I had to straighten a little but you get the idea.

18 mm using the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens
18mm.jpg

12mm using the Tokina 12-24mm
12mm.jpg

mashburn

I bought the Tokina 12-24mm and it is just what I wanted. Very happy with it. These were taken standing in the same spot and trying to place the view in the upper left corner as close as I can. I had to straighten a little but you get the idea.

18mm.jpg

12mm.jpg
WOW was not expecting a big difference like that. Thank you so much.

TedG954

I've been looking at the Tokin 16-28 for my D700. Is there anything you don't like 100% about your Tokina? Thanks.

Lscha

If I had to bad-mouth it for ANY reason, it would be because it's heavy. There is some distortion at 12mm but not so much that I would spend the money on a different lens. I bought this primarily for landscape photos using 16 and 17mm and I stopped looking because it does a fine job. I got mine refurbished at B n H.

Geoffc

I have the Tokina 11-16 and it's fantastic. So good that my wife part exed her 10.5 fisheye to get one as well after she saw the results. I did a lot of research before I got it and bought it on performance rather than cost. I would have paid the extra for a Nikon if it wasn't so highly rated.

We have the non afs versions which will be fine if you have a motor in your body.

Claudia!

I have the new version of the tokina 11-16. I LOVE it! I do not get to use it much because I am busy with school but in the next two week when school is out, it is all I am going to use. It has come in handy very often in small cramped spaces or indoors. Before I bought the lens, I constantly read that it "distorts" people or that it is not a group lens. I did not think it was a big deal but I quickly learned it wasnt a portrait lens at all. I am still a newbie! : ) I am not one to advise people since I am in the learning process but I must say, I really do love this lens. Definetly do your research. Look around for groups pertaining to the lens. That is what helped me make up my mind. Good luck.

mashburn

thanks everyone for your help. I got the tokina last night.

I can tell it will be a huge help in landscaping.......but for doing portrait of people I'm going to have to play around with it.

mashburn

Good luck getting a nice portrait with that WA. You should use that 50mm 1.8 you have for portraits though, it's fine glass.
well doing single portrait I have found out it will not go good with what I want it to.....but for family portrait I can do what I want I believe.

but on single portrait I will be using my 50mm 1.8

John!

I have to agree with the others here, I have the Tokina 11-16 and I love it, it's fantastic! Heavy, yes, but built like a tank. True professional quality, metal and glass, not plastics.