Theory: Nikon D600 Sensor Dust Problem Caused by Scratches in the Mirror Box?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This time lapse video should provide the explanation. Even after being serviced by NSC, there is still a chance that the "oil" spots will still show after extensive use.

Eye-level

Banned
I am wondering if they loosened up quality control so they could beat Canon's D6 to market maybe...I bet that is what it was...they say the new models are not showing the problem.

BackdoorArts

Sure - why didn't I see this BEFORE I sent mine in? Never came across this thread before. Would have loved to taken a closer look at these spots before sending it in.

BackdoorArts

Even after being serviced by NSC, there is still a chance that the "oil" spots will still show after extensive use.

With any tool I expect to have to perform maintenance after extensive use. Wet cleaning a sensor a couple times a year and blowing dust off before a shoot is akin to what I had to do as a gigging musician - tweak the neck adjustment as the seasons change and change the strings before a gig. The original problem would be like having a freshly set up and restrung guitar break a string and require readjusting after every set. I didn't pay for a Rolls Royce that never requires servicing, and even if I did, I'm the type that still feels funny about not having to change the oil every 3000-5000 miles.