Brand New DSLR Digital Owner.... but wait, what?

alltimeqb

I just purchased a D3100 off of fleabay but am worried. The flash clip is broken so the flash won't stay down. what's the cost to fix? Can I fix it? thanks for any help.

Eye-level

Banned
Black electrical tape...if you need flash get an assistant that is my motto...better yet get an assistant that holds a reflector.

Don't worry be happy! :)

The greatest QB that ever lived? I'd have to say Montana but man Bradshaw has the rings.

SteveH

My Mum's D70s had a similar problem, she glued some velcro over the flash to keep it down, and then she could easily release it to use.... However, did the seller state that the flash release was damaged? If not, I'd consider returning it.

Steve

alltimeqb

Thanks for the replies. I get that the on-camera flash is not very useful but I'd like to be able to use it in a pinch.

The ad did refer to the flash issue, price wasn't bad so now I'm a new D3100 owner, just would like to know if there is any way to replace the broken piece although I'm not sure how the flash lock is controlled. Is it a tab that is on the pop-up part? Is it a tab that's on the housing part? Not sure, but is there any way to fix or replace either one?

Any part schematics available on these things?

SteveH

I'm not sure how economical it would be to repair, you could take it to a dealer for an estimate but I have the feeling that the camera + repair cost would be far more than just buying an undamaged 2nd hand camera. My mum got a price for her D70 with the same problem, and quickly decided to live with it!

If you are happy with the rest of the camera, then get a price for repair and if it is too much, then strap it down with Velcro. The in-built flash is no subsitute for a more expensive external unit, but at the same time, they do a job and are always there when you need them!

alltimeqb

Did more research and found out that someone got a quote to fix the flash latch, it was $250!

Others have done a fix themselves after downloading a service manual. Seemed pretty drastic but I'd feel confident of doing it if I had the service manual.

For now, I'll just velcro it.

alltimeqb

Recieved the camera. Whoever packed this thing, jammed it into a box with this hard paper packaging. When I took it out of the plastic bag (really?), I noticed the lens cap was not seated properly. Take the lens cap off to find an indent & crease in the black space around the lens.

It may not be a problem so I'm going to put the camera through its paces to make sure it's working ok. Seems to be good so far but I'm not keeping it unless the seller is willing to return a few bucks.

stmv

should not have been packed so poorly, I would return it, and get another, why start off with issues? unless the price was FANTASTIC.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Recieved the camera. Whoever packed this thing, jammed it into a box with this hard paper packaging. When I took it out of the plastic bag (really?), I noticed the lens cap was not seated properly. Take the lens cap off to find an indent & crease in the black space around the lens.

It may not be a problem so I'm going to put the camera through its paces to make sure it's working ok. Seems to be good so far but I'm not keeping it unless the seller is willing to return a few bucks.

I suspect this lens was dropped (bent filter ring) and also could be misaligned. I would return it for sure.

alltimeqb

First-off, Eye-Level, I just got your reference to quarterbacks, lol.

Camera was 360, not a fantastic price, but you'd be hard pressed to get a better one for less. It doesn't look like the front glass is misaliged and I know that it was the packaging job.

It seems to be working fine, but I'll keep using it until the weekend and make a pitch; either send me some $$ back or it's coming back.

Forgot to mention, I've already had it at a local camera shop. They're not convinced that it's a problem, but of course they tried telling me to return it and buy a new one ;-)

alltimeqb

Thought I posted this...

I returned the first camera, bought another off fleabay for $40 less. This one is a keeper. 1660 shutter releases, pristine condition, really like this dslr.