Filter Question

pedroj

If Nikon wanted more glass I'm sure they would have put it on it...

If you are careful and look after your stuff I don't see the need for the added expense...

§am

I look after my kit very well, so therefore shouldn't need a filter.
BUT I have kids, and kids like to touch things with fingers, pencils, pens, and other scratchable materials!

So a £20 filter on a £150 lens is small change compared to maybe having to replace the lens.
My 18-55mm has a UV filter on it, and I've had to change it once already (only had it since April) - little one managed to scratch the filter with a lego brick (by accident mind you)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - for my photography skills, adding a filter does not affect IQ.

Best way for you to know - try with and without one on :)

fotojack

When I'm doing a portrait shoot at someone's house, or in my home, I don't use a filter. There's no need. If I'm outside, tramping through the bush or through trees, I use a UV filter, just to protect the more expensive lens glass. This is one of those common sense things, where you do what's best for your equipment.

Eye-level

Banned
Yes...Nikon L37C

A very good old school photographer who owns a ton of Nikons and Nikkors once told me to use a skylight filter to impart a warm feel to my portraits. He also advised me to use a ND filter in order to be able to open up wider in daylight. That was really good advice. I do not have any skylight or haze or ND filters for my Nikon only a UV for protection mainly. At the time I was using a camera with a max shutter speed of 500 and trying to make daylight portraits with blown out backgrounds.

Portraits are a whole different ballgame fellas...study the filters and what they can do for your portraits before you decide...they are just tools. A lot of these "special" effects can be made in post production but me I like to use the glass. If you are going B&W that adds a whole other twist to it.

Filters are made for a reason folks if they were useless they wouldn't make them right? :)

Here is a link for you... UV, Skylight and Haze Filters

*Note to self...buy CP, ND (2 stops), Skylight, and yellow filters for Nikon*

Last edited:

disciplerocks

Everyday use I always have a UV filter on. And if outdoors I will use a neutral density.

If you want it warmed up, you can use a skylight. But I've never used one.

Last edited:

stmv

Outside,, polarizer lens when needed,

ND .6 0r .9 for some water shots,

otherwise, not,, or rarely, unless the glass is really exposed,

Last edited by a moderator: