This Time Lapse Shows the Nikon D600 Has a Dusty Sensor Problem

Ironwood

Thanks for posting Dave.

I have the D600 on my wishlist, I will probably get one sometime next year, but if this problem isnt resolved by the time I am ready to buy, I will be rethinking what I will do with my money.

I know you can just keep cleaning the sensor, this probably isn't a big deal to some, but its something I definitely would rather not have to do on a regular basis.

Surely Nikon is working to resolve this problem as we speak, lets hope so.

Rick M

Thanks for posting Dave.

I have the D600 on my wishlist, I will probably get one sometime next year, but if this problem isnt resolved by the time I am ready to buy, I will be rethinking what I will do with my money.

I know you can just keep cleaning the sensor, this probably isn't a big deal to some, but its something I definitely would rather not have to do on a regular basis.

Surely Nikon is working to resolve this problem as we speak, lets hope so.

This bothered me at first. My experience is that the dust is a finite issue. I've blown it off a couple times with a vacum near to draw out the loose dust. It's no longer an issue. This is way over hyped. You'll be missing out on a great camera if you pass this one by.

Dave_W

The Dude
I suspect it is a combination of shutter particles and oil, similar to the D7000. After I had the catastrophic shutter failure on my D800 and oil on my D7000, I've come to suspect Nikon is experimenting with shutters and shutter mechanisms that has not either been tested thoroughly or are manufacturing tolerances are too loose and many are getting into cameras that should have been rejected.

As for D600's with this issue, consider doing what many of us did with our D7000 - send it to Nikon and they will replace the entire mirror box with one that does not leak oil/particles, as well as thoroughly clean your OLPF for free. And here's where buying your camera at a local dealer pays off because they'll send it in for you, thus no out of pocket costs for you.