Lens Hoods??

luvinrunnin

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. I guess I didn't realize the importance of lens hoods, and haven't been using the one that came with my camera. I've been reading about them, and some say that the lens hood that comes with the lenses that while better than nothing, isn't really sufficient.

When would you not use one? How do I know what lens hood to use so as to not create vignetting?

Thanks!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I've always just used the hood that came with my lens. I was at a lighting seminar with Joe McNally a while back and he just used his hand. Go figure.

fotojack

What the lens hood does is stop any extranious light from entering the side of the lens, making for a better photo. Check Wikipedia/lenshoods for a more detailed explanation. :)

luvinrunnin

Thanks, I did actually look it up on wiki lol. I suppose it's a so often used piece of equipment that not many mention it, so I hadn't given it any thought and wondered because I'd not heard them mentioned.

Browncoat

Some photogs (like Scott Kelby and Joe McNally) always recommend using a lens hood. If nothing else, it helps protect your lens from getting banged around and scratched while in transit.

I actually don't think I've ever shot with my 18-105mm lens without the hood attached.

torgo

I have slides that my dad took 30 or 40 years ago where you can see part of his hand because he was shading the lens from side lighting. So if nothing else, lens hoods help keep parts of your hands out of your shots. ;)

That said, I use mine for most of the afore-mentioned reasons - flare-blocking and front-element protection.

Ruidoso Bill

Many a time when taking a shot into the light with a lens hood in place I can still get a flare or spot, holding my hand above the lens can reduce or eliminate the problem. I was joking about the crop, seldom happens.

Curt

I use one all the time; I have used the rubber retractable type, clamp type, etc.
I find the petal type to be best for me, I just turn it around when not using it, or when its pack in my camera bag. As others have mentioned it does protect your lens while you are walking about with your camera over your shoulder, if in case you should bang it against an object (better you break a lens hood then a lens). Keep stray light from entering your shot.
If you lost yours, or didn't get one with your lens. You can get one really cheap through Link Delight, I perfer the petal type myself.