Thin red vertical line

fotojack

Well! Just discovered this today. I now have a thin red vertical line running down the left of my D40! :( Apparently, this is called a burned pixel and needs to be pixel mapped. I'm wondering if will be worth the cost of getting it fixed. I'm thoroughly pissed off with this new development! :(

Here's a sample pic showing the thin red vertical line:

Red line.jpg

pedroj

Just been reading about a similar situation a D50....They sent it into Nikon to have it remapped and it came back with a new sensor in it

My sons D50 has this line with a couple of older lens he uses...He tried my 16-35mm and the line wasn't there

Dave_W

The Dude
Well, it is getting close to Christmas and you can (D800) subliminally let your (D800) family know what (D800) you might like for (D800) Christmas. I know my (D800) kids are always asking me (D800) what I would like for (D800) Christmas and I (D800) usually just say (D800) all I want is (D800) them to visit me and that (D800) all I need. ;)

stmv

sorry to hear about your camera, do you have a quality Pro Repair shop in town. I always start at my local shop first for all repairs,, before sending to Nikon. So far, the local shop has been able to fix all issues. At least they can give you an estimate of the cost.

fotojack

Just been reading about a similar situation a D50....They sent it into Nikon to have it remapped and it came back with a new sensor in it

My sons D50 has this line with a couple of older lens he uses...He tried my 16-35mm and the line wasn't there

I thought about the lenses, too, but I tried 3 different lenses and the line is still there.

I'm going to get hold of Nikon and see what they have to say about it. At least I still have my trusty old D200, so it's not like I'm without a camera. :)

Sambr

Well Nikon called on Friday to say that the problem was caused by a hair on the sensor of the camera. They've removed the hair and the line has definately disappeared. It should be on its way back to me soon.

Mac I found this on another forum "Nikonian"

Sambr

Also did you try a diffrent SD Card? Once my D700 did that with a multitude of lines & colours ended up being the CF card.

AC016

D80's are going for a couple hundred bucks these days. In my opinion, if the repair is going to cost you more than a hundred bucks, just get a "new" camera. If you will need a new sensor in there (do they still make 6MP sensors?) then it will not be worth it. It jsut may be that you will have to let go...:ambivalence: