Advice....how to get wedding clients.

jayradio

Hi folks,

So I'm looking at trying my hand at doing weddings...after shooting pics for years and doing my first small friends wedding this summer, I've decided I want to do more and make some money doing it. But I don't know where to start and am looking for advice.

I have created a new photography website showing the differing categories of photos I'm doing (Music/Portraits/Weddings/Commercial/Nature), the issue is I only have a few wedding shots that "I" actually took. I need to build this up more but need to get more clients in order to do it...suggestions?

J

Eye-level

Banned
Wedding photography is even more difficult than working for National Geographic. If you are made for it you won't have any problems attracting clients but man you have to be really really damn good to do weddings. There are some good photographers on this board but I bet if you asked any of them if they would be comfortable doing a wedding shoot I bet you probably all of them would say no.

Dave_W

The Dude
The biggest fear I have with wedding photography is a catastrophic memory card failure. That said, you should be make back ups of back ups your highest priority and move on from there.

pedroj

A friend of mine does weddings...He was telling me that a few of his clients have complained about the images to try and get out of paying the remaining money owing....I've saw his images and they look very good...

I've done family and friends weddings, but would not do others...to much stress for me...

jayradio

The biggest fear I have with wedding photography is a catastrophic memory card failure. That said, you should be make back ups of back ups your highest priority and move on from there.

My D7000 has dual card slots, one is always RAW and one is always JPG of the same photos...the odds of both cards failing at the same time are slim, so I will always at least have one or the other if not both. The thought of both crapping out in any situation makes me almost ill, lol, but it's part of the reason I bought the D7000

J

jayradio

A friend of mine does weddings...He was telling me that a few of his clients have complained about the images to try and get out of paying the remaining money owing....I've saw his images and they look very good...

I've done family and friends weddings, but would not do others...to much stress for me...

They can be stressful, but the payoff can be fantastic...the stress is knowing you get 'one' chance at this. But I'm also used to shooting concerts, where you also get 'one chance'.

Eye-level

Banned
If you are game and up to the challenge I say go for it. You may try posting an ad in your local newspaper offering your services. You might attend some wedding convention type events and hand out some cards. Just remember people are going to want to see your portfolio so it needs to be designed with wedding type photography in mind...lots of portraits.

In my mind probably the greatest challenge in a wedding shot would be to get the exposure right and not blow out the dress. Typically you have a groom in black and a bride in white. That is really hard to do because of the stark contrast. You need big time dynamic range and you have to know your way around PP in order to deal with just that one type of shot successfully.

In reference to your post above concerts may be a one chance deal but if you miss then oh well. Weddings are a one time deal and if you miss it is going to be an entirely different thing. Miss it one time and your wedding photography career is over.

disciplerocks

I just got married in October and asked our photographer if she would let me tag along for her next few weddings. She agreed. Now I can get experience without having them relying solely on me.

pedroj

They can be stressful, but the payoff can be fantastic...the stress is knowing you get 'one' chance at this. But I'm also used to shooting concerts, where you also get 'one chance'.

I've done numerous ballet concerts and never felt the stress of the couple of weddings I did...

aZuMi

Working with a studio helps alot. I've done a few weddings as a second photographer to the studio I work with. It can be stressful, but if you're a second shooter - it's pretty fun.

Recently made my website as well and did a Fundraiser Gala work for free. I say do whatever works to get your name out...and make sure you have contracts to protect you :)

jayradio

Thanks for all your feedback...!

A lot of you have mentioned a contract...can you point me toward or show me examples of some good ones that you've used?

Thanks! :)

J

wysiwyg

I can offer you the following advice when shooting weddings:

1) have back up cameras and lenses
2) use smaller cards - but many rather than a few large capacity cards
3) def have a good contract - make sure everyone knows what is expected of them - and make sure you have a list of extra important people to include - nothing worse than everyone forgetting to include great grandad in the official shots
4) know your camera equipment inside and out - like it's an extension of your body
5) do a complimentary engagement shoot to get to know the couple - and to help them relax and maybe if necessary - teach them how to pose - remember not everyone is a super model !

The best way to get your name out in the marketplace is to advertise - use friends and family - offer amazing start up specials to help Build up your portfolio - and social networking is an amazing tool in today's marketplace !

Good luck - it is hardworking - but very rewarding x

Last edited by a moderator:

Pierro

You may have to do a couple of tag alongs, otherwise you wont have any samples to show prospective payers. No wedding couple is gonna hire a wedding togger without being able to see their work

And yes, as wysi said, back up everything.

I did a tag along with a pro togger a year or to ago, and because there was zero pressure on me, i took my kit lens and got some very good snaps. In fact the couple loved them, ( they are friends which is how I got to go shoot with the pro - he didnt mind ) and they wanted all of them as supplements to the pro's photos. The pro used 2 Nikon D3 cams. plus 2 lenses ...a short fast W/A zoom, and a longer zoom. He didnt swap lenses, just used 2 cams and switched at a moments notice when necessary

Murphy's law though - i didnt have any failures or problems, cos there was no pressure to perform

some samples

Hound dawg photography - Wedding Samples - Photo Sharing at WinSoftMagic

wysiwyg

You may have to do a couple of tag alongs, otherwise you wont have any samples to show prospective payers. No wedding couple is gonna hire a wedding togger without being able to see their work

And yes, as wysi said, back up everything.

I did a tag along with a pro togger a year or to ago, and because there was zero pressure on me, i took my kit lens and got some very good snaps. In fact the couple loved them, ( they are friends which is how I got to go shoot with the pro - he didnt mind ) and they wanted all of them as supplements to the pro's photos. The pro used 2 Nikon D3 cams. plus 2 lenses ...a short fast W/A zoom, and a longer zoom. He didnt swap lenses, just used 2 cams and switched at a moments notice when necessary

Murphy's law though - i didnt have any failures or problems, cos there was no pressure to perform

some samples

Hound dawg photography - Wedding Samples - Photo Sharing at WinSoftMagic

I love the casual relaxed images you have captured. I always have a second shooter - and will often plant them as a "guest" with a small camera in the crowd - sometimes even a P&S ... to get that relaxed look.

Pierro

Good point wys - the candid shots sometimes turn out to be the best. A lot of people, soon as they see a togger with a big camera in their hands, start posing, so the candids are missed. An assortment of posed, which is necessary for a wedding, plus some candids, usually work quite well