Nikon 85mm 1.8D

Jon

I've just ordered an 85 mm 1.8D. I should get it Friday or Saturday. Excited as hell. I was planning to get the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 but decided to stick with Nikon. How's your experience with this glass. Hopefully somebody could post some pics. Thanks.

stmv

I have the lens, very solid, for some reason, I don't use it that often, Find myself reaching for 50 or 105, no particular reason, habits. As long as you are not rough with these lens, will last a lifetime and defintely better built then the standard kit lens.

Sharp as heck, some compare the bokeh to be inferior then say the 1.4, but subjective.

so,, enjoy the lens, it won't let you down.

Jon

I'm selling my 50 1.8. I already got a 35mm 1.8. I wanted a 1.4 but can't afford it. Thanks.

I have the lens, very solid, for some reason, I don't use it that often, Find myself reaching for 50 or 105, no particular reason, habits. As long as you are not rough with these lens, will last a lifetime and defintely better built then the standard kit lens.

Sharp as heck, some compare the bokeh to be inferior then say the 1.4, but subjective.

so,, enjoy the lens, it won't let you down.

vindex1963

I've just ordered an 85 mm 1.8D. I should get it Friday or Saturday. Excited as hell. I was planning to get the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 but decided to stick with Nikon. How's your experience with this glass. Hopefully somebody could post some pics. Thanks.

I just ordered one Saturday from KEH.

Jon

Boy, what a roller coaster week for me. I found out that Nikon ran out of the refurbished 85 mm last Friday. I was frustrated that all my sleepless night didn't go anywhere. The worse part, my wife already gave me the green light. Now I would need to go through another approval process, blah, blah thing to get the lens.

Yesterday, I had another call if I was still interested. Well for sure. I finally got it last night, not a refurbished one but a new lens at the same price. Thanks Santa for the early gift. I promised my wife this was the last one. Unknowingly to her, I whispered "last one for the year". Now on my next wish list......

vindex1963

Mine came in today!!

8233008099_c3181dd83a_b.jpg

Just playing around.
8233124283_2aa1156cc5_b.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
The 85 is the only focal length I don't have that I desperately need. :)

Congratulations on this Nikkor and may you learn what it can and cannot do really quickly so that we can see some good snaps!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nice series. Just try to avoid using it at f1.8 outdoors since it will likely give you some purple fringing. It's a very sharp lens for portrait use.

stmv

own the lens, value its quality, really old school Nikon, and holds up to its reputation. I do echo, that I also hardly use the lens, 105, 50, 60, etc, but keep forgetting to use the 85, I have used it for some formal portraits and it shined as expected.

I think we will look back to these last D autofocus as a classic period. Yes, Nikon is committing quality with the G series, but bulkier, and more money.

vindex1963

Boy, what a roller coaster week for me. I found out that Nikon ran out of the refurbished 85 mm last Friday. I was frustrated that all my sleepless night didn't go anywhere. The worse part, my wife already gave me the green light. Now I would need to go through another approval process, blah, blah thing to get the lens.

Yesterday, I had another call if I was still interested. Well for sure. I finally got it last night, not a refurbished one but a new lens at the same price. Thanks Santa for the early gift. I promised my wife this was the last one. Unknowingly to her, I whispered "last one for the year". Now on my next wish list......

When do we get a sample?