DX portrait lens, is the 50 f/1.8 D a good choice?

robin623

After much reading it seems the obvious choice for a portrait lens is the 50mm focal length which gives a field of view of 75mm. Used on a young lady friends D80 which would you choose and is f/1.8 fast enough for portraits? Based on B&H prices the f/1.8 D is $107 grey market and the G is $216.95. In a portrait session at an upcoming wedding would the G lens be preferred or would both do essentially the same job? Is the D a good choice on a tight budget? The lens will compliment her 18-135 kit lens and
index.jpg
SB-600.

pedroj

The D is pretty much the same optically as the G apart from these couple of things...

The G is AF-S and the D is AF and has an aperture ring

Tami Jo

You will love the 50 f/1.8 either the D or G lens which ever may be more budget friendly. I really love mine. I have the 50 f/1.8D lens. It's a fast sharp little lens. Pick up the D version and save your money for a later lens purchase.

Photo Joe

Shouldn't everyone own a nifty fifty? :) Look online for used ones, I've seen recently a few that were as low as $75, I think it was Adorama's page.

Bukitimah

I owned a afd and I can tell you it was a fantastic lens. The only problem with this lens is for indoor, it is a bit tight for DX camera. I have another Tamron 17-50 f2,8 and therefore, I don't use this 50 mm lens that much. However, it is a cheap and good lens. I would keep it for now.

Dooku77

You will love the 50 f/1.8 either the D or G lens which ever may be more budget friendly. I really love mine. I have the 50 f/1.8D lens. It's a fast sharp little lens. Pick up the D version and save your money for a later lens purchase.

So you find yourself using this lens more than any other?

Tami Jo

I love it Willie. Its a great little lens. I use it when I am not chasing wildlife. I want to pick up a 35 or 28 as well for those times when you just want a wider prime. Its really inexpensive too. You should still be able to pick up a new one for under 120.00. Check Amazon and Adorama they have great pricing and often free shipping.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

tempuraki

I love 50mm on DX for portraits; I wish they make a 75mm lens for FX. D is a no brainer if you are on a tight budget or if you need one right away since there doesn't seem to be any G primes available anywhere. 1.8D may even focus a bit faster than G from what I am reading.