Newb Question and ISO

bunger

I just upgraded from a D70s to the D7000 and love the new camera, but have a quick question about ISO.

I typically shoot in Aperture priority mode.

Is shooting in Manual mode the only way to fully control ISO? It seems that if I am in Aperture mode, I can select an ISO setting until the camera determines that my setting doesn't get the job done - then it takes over and applies its own setting. Is this to be expected?

I was experimenting trying to shoot very low light pics inside, but wanted to retain the darkness and shadows. Under Aperture mode, the camera constantly cranked my ISO to 6400 and eliminated all darkness and shadows.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

bunger

I will give that a try - thanks!!

The setting is under "ISO Sensitivity Settings," correct?

Last edited:

bunger

That did the trick! I still have to switch to Manual to get the shadows I want as the shutter still does its own thing in Aperture mode, but at least ISO has calmed down a bit!

Thanks again!

eurotrash

The shutter will always do that when in aperture priority. Hence, you're giving priority to aperture as opposed to shutter.

If you want full on control, go full on manual. You could even do auto-iso with full manual to make the 3 major factors of proper exposure limited to 2 (with one being automated) if you feel comfortable with the camera selecting your ISO for you.