Looking to buy a D700

johncook

I'm seriously looking at buying a D700 in the next month. I want to move up to FX after having a play with a D600 I was seriously impressed with the IQ of FX.

id prefer the D700 because of its high ISO performance and 12mp is fine for me. Also it's a tried and trusted camera.

Obviously I'll be looking at used cameras (as they arent available new ) from decent camera shops in the uk. They are within my price range.

what should I look out for???

i was thinking low no. Of activations and good condition camera / sensor so I know it's likely been well looked after.

TedG954

I bought my D700 for the same reasons. I found one for sale locally through Craigslist. It had 11k clicks.

Ebay has some real deals too. Look for low activations and a return policy.

It's a great camera. Good luck.

johncook

Ok, so I traded my D7000 in for the D700. I was very sad to let the D7000 go because its been faultless and excellent over the last 18 months and taken some great photos.

im pleased to say I'm absolutely over the moon with the D700 though. It delivers in low light and high ISO on another level to the D7000. I shoot a lot indoors and low light with fast primes and same light / lens its just a lot cleaner / sharper and overall IQ better. Autofocus is fast and accurate, viewfinder is big and bright and the camera handles well.

I miss the battery grip for vertical controls in portrait so will get one soon. Highly recommend the move from D7000 to D700!

simonhodge

Brill! I've been planning on doing the same thing and looks like i should be in the position to actually do it in a month or so but will be keeping my D300 also. Out of interest, where did you get your D700?

johncook

Brill! I've been planning on doing the same thing and looks like i should be in the position to actually do it in a month or so but will be keeping my D300 also. Out of interest, where did you get your D700?

i got it at London Camera Exchange in Derby. It was in excellent condition with only 11,000 actuations. MPB photographic are worth a look. Mifsuds also sell D700's (secondhand). good luck, you wont regret the move to FX! you can use your D300 grip.

vindex1963

You WILL NOT be disappointed with the D700. My D300 sits 99.9% of the time. I keep the D300 for the crop
factor and the 70-300mm stays on it otherwise it's the D700.

Curt

I have both the D700 & the D7000 love them both in different ways.
both great cameras, will be keeping them. Went through a few different models before finally settling on this combo. But very happy with them both.

SouthWest Dreams

Mine is on a FedEx truck. About 20K clicks. I too will not sell by D300 but rather use it on the rare times I go out for birds or the more frequent times I go for dragonflies.
I thought about the D800 then started thinking my imac (older) would not handle it as I only shoot raw. The D600 body was not appealing after using the D300. Add to that I have no need for video and never once said to myself "Gee I'd like to video this." Throw in the fact I can use my same release, batteries......
It seems the average low mileage ones are selling for about 1500.00 on Ebay in the USA. I saw a couple NIB go for over 2k.

I think I had to try something to finally convince myself first. I shoot mostly landscapes. I threw a 20mm on an old N80 and set a zoom to 20mm on the D300. That was the tip in.

TedG954

The D700 is a fine camera. I wouldn't trade it for any lightweight.

It is a beast, built like a tank. And, it is not that heavy. I'm glad I got mine.

I couldn't care less that it doesn't have video and 12.1 megapixels is plenty.

Enjoy.

simonhodge

Mifsuds also sell D700's (secondhand). good luck, you wont regret the move to FX! you can use your D300 grip.

Mifsuds is where i got my D300 so will check them out. I happen to know of a photographer who is going to change from Nikon to Canon for some strange reason but he has a D3 and two D700 so hope to get a good deal from him. May go with the D3 if its the right money and a lens and any speedlights he has. Hope to have about £2200 to spend :)

stmv

if you want to be amazed at this classic, just look at the reviews on Amazons, one of the most satisfied owners of all time.

My D700 functioned 4 faultless years, and only the D800 dethroned the 700 for me. If you can get a solid used D700 for between 1250-1500 you are in a good range.

sunwharf

I'm just about to get D700 too, many don't seem to have the original software CD and AV leads. Is this an issue or can I ignore it?

Thanks
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SouthWest Dreams

Mine came a couple weeks ago. 12K clicks. Gonna keep the D300. I was thinking about the D800 a bit. I only shoot raw and the files would eat me alive and I have zero need for video really. The D600 looked too small compared to the D300 and it just didn't get me interested. The AV leads I have only used once in about 6 years just to try playing back on the TV. You can probably buy those easy. As far as the CD I think they only included a trial version of NX and the other software disk was most likely ViewNX which you can download free.

sunwharf

That's cool. I have a D200 so expect the leads are the same then. I use Lightroom so I wouldn't need NX. I wasn't sure if there was some special software but doesn't sound like it.

Thanks for the info

Cheers
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stmv

I would say,,, 40K clicks or less, under 25K would be ideal, all latches/covers in place, with no obvious signs of drops, otherwise, not much to worry about, D700 are tanks.

And, I took my D7000 and D700 on a trip out west, and well, the D700 had a larger keeper ratio. The images are so wonderful with the D700, so good choice.

Last edited: